Monday, January 22, 2007

Rain, rain, go away


I have not posted in a very long time! Sorry for those of you who check often; I had a two week period where I worked too often and had two exams for school, so I didn't get around to posting any new entries. I tried a couple of times at work (and I use the word work here in a very broad, inclusive sense of the term, since there are long stretches at 'work' where we watch television and take naps...the best kept secret in emergency services, though when we DO work it's hair raising--in my defense I have worked 18 hour shifts with no break before, but not often) but it's difficult to be creative with three people looking over your shoulder and, let's be honest people, when you're bored.
I started a new position at a new ambulance station, in Squamish. It's great! It takes me only an hour and fifteen minutes to get to work and it is far busier than my last station, so now I don't need to work elsewhere to make money. I actually work less and make more; the kids see me more often and I can contribute financially around here! Feels good. At my new station I met two guys who grew up in my hometown, and one of whom I went to elementary school and the first two years of high school with! Small world! Since I started in Squamish on the 11th, I have seen some interesting calls. Pedestrian struck by a pickup truck, stroke, death by anorexia, several broken bones (four, to be exact), a dimentia patient who spoke no english and had no translator present, and a baby fall down the stairs. Friends: there is a reason baby walkers are not sold in Canada! They are dangerous! This baby had a close brush with death, and he was only 5 months old.
Some random observations regarding 'Squish:' there are two types of drivers on the Sea to Sky, (1) the very insecure, and (2) the very aggressive. The mountains are beautiful, and its a bit disconcerting when an ocean inlet reaches so far inland. The construction sites on the Sea to Sky bear signs that read "Drive Safe, my mommy works here! Chad and Tracey," or "Drive Safe, my daddy works here! Morgan." Kind of cute and kind of cheesy at the same time. When it snows in Squamish, it SNOWS! Property in Squamish has appreciated over 450% since 1993. When you run a particularly long red light in the turning lane at Hwy 99 and Industrial Ave at 2:00 in the morning, you are apt to be pulled over by the police and given a talking to (and a warning). There was NO ONE visible in any direction!
So Brent is getting laser eye surgery on Feb. 15th. Soon he won't have to haggle with contacts or glasses anymore; I'm so jealous! I think I might have it done too. It would be very nice not to have to wear glasses anymore. Most places give paramedics a deal, nice perk :)
The boys are as energetic as always. Matthew, our perfect sleeper, has recently decided that 4:30 or 5:00 am is an acceptable time to get up for the day! The first thing he does when he gets out of bed is go in Ayden's room and wake him up (Ayden now has a childproof handle on the outside of his door to prevent this), and then go downstairs and play with the toys. A few times he has opened our door to see if we're up, sees that it's dark and that we are still sleeping, and promptly leaves. He cries like his heart is breaking when you get up and lead him back to bed, and its hard with groggy mind to explain to him that you are not in fact angry, but he does in fact need more sleep and it is too early for the household to rise in order to supervise him! He also now has several pairs of big boy underwear, which he tries hard to keep dry (we still only use them around home). Hooray! Soon I'll have no kids in diapers.
It is raining, raining, raining and I'm stuck, stuck stuck. I'm dreaming of the day when the rain will stop and the playgrounds will dry up, and the water park will open, and we will spend many hours outdoors again. This time of year is always tough. It's dark, dank, and wet, and the house seems so small.

2 comments:

LouiseandGary said...

Yay about Squamish! So much closer and busier for you...awesome. Besides, its so beautiful there!

Junior B said...

Great to hear about the laser thingy, Brent. And you have nothing to worry about...that is unless you remember the part in Goldfinger when James Bond is tied down to the table while the laser slowly splits the table in half as it travels from his feet to his head. Wow, I don't even remember how he got out of that one.