Friday, August 24, 2007

Bittersweet

Last night we arrived home from Vernon around 9 p.m. My tasks included a ton and a half of laundry (of foremost importance was my work uniform for this a.m. ~ why, I ask you, are the 2 halves of my uniform, pants and shirt, so opposite in colour so I HAVE to do two separate loads of laundry to clean my entire uniform? White shirt, navy pants...I wish we had something more like the paramedics on Third Watch, who have navy and navy...white just SHOWS all the dirt and ink and grass stains :p yuck), bath, teeth brusing, bedtime stories, and bed for both boys, food for 3 fish and a cat, unloading the car, and prepping the house to be suitably tidy for a babysitter to dwell in it today. Oh yes, and sleep myself.
I was a bit harried.
Ayden stepped up and offered to feed the cat and fish. He then offered to clean up some toys (there is a sticker chart reward system here, this is not completely altruistic, but somewhat!). Then he astounded me by offering to take a shower by himself. He said, "I can wash myself, mommy! I know how to do it!" Which is actually true. So, I started the water so he didn't burn or freeze himself, and in he went. It is difficult to relinquish control of certain activities, including the washing of hair and body parts. What if he misses a part? Then I laughed at myself. Well, if he misses a part, at least it gets wet because it is a shower after all and all parts get wet in the shower. And then, no one dies if a part gets wet but not soaped.
So I resisted the temptation to interfere or nag, and I left him alone to have his shower. He showered, hopped out and got in his towel, and then brushed his teeth. All while I read Matthew stories.
Teeth brushing is another area that is difficult for me to let go of. What if he misses a tooth? But I snuck in and watched him for this part, and he didn't miss any teeth. He got all three surfaces of every back tooth, and both surfaces of the front teeth, top and bottom. I can't believe this is my baby muffin! It's wonderful that he has become so independant! It's so sad that he doesn't need me to do as much anymore! One of these days will be the last time I ever see him naked, which is weird in someone who grew in you, and whose every body part you washed and cared for and accepted with love for years. That body was yours, and it slowly becomes theirs. Bittersweet.
The fact that Ayden was able to shower himself and brush his own teeth helped my sanity so much, as I was able to multi task and do laundry, get Ayden clean, and put Matthew to bed simultaneously. My muffin. What a big helper!

2 comments:

nancy said...

You're doing great Meliss - with all your home prep to get out the door actually being at work could be your down time (not too down as in no calls)
Tell Ayden nana is impressed with his helping attitude. I forgot to tell you when we took the boys out they both started singing "what works?...Team work" over and over!

Jen & Andrey said...

i l0ve reading y0ur bl0g entries like these. y0u're a great writer. my c0mputer refuses t0 type 0s all 0f the sudden. s0rry ab0ut that. thank g00dness f0r zer0s. i think i need a new c0mputer s00n... ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo0h my g0sh its p0ssessed...i didn't type th0se!!!