Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cruelty and Kindness

Ayden commented while I was making lunch today, "Mommy, you look like you have a big, fat tummy like there's a baby in there!" Which made me turn away and cry. Most days I could think, "ha, ha; I'll remember that and re-tell it to you when you're old enough to understand!" but today I just couldn't! Then, an hour later I was outside watching Ayden ride his bike when suddenly he hopped off and asked me, "Are you thirsty, mommy? I will go get you a drink of water. Do you want some food, too?" and ran inside to get me some water. When he came out with a flowered mug dripping full, he shouted, "I got you the flowered cup because I love you!!" So then I got weepy because that was so sweet.

5 comments:

Dana said...

oh, sweetie....

Roboseyo said...

all part of his master plan. . .

Tonya said...

This past weekend, we were visiting Eric's family. My niece, who is 4, poked my belly a few times. I said, "what, do you think it's fat?" She said, "yes, it's because you're eating too much." NICE! Of course, her mother, after 3 kids, has a totally flat belly. I don't like people like that some days. :-) I guess I was just glad she didn't poke my belly and ask me if I was having another baby. THAT would have made me cry too. Fat is ok, baby is not. :-)

Louise said...

Two people asked me last week if i was pregnant (a student and family friend) and I'm not, so I can sort of relate. Very cute though, that he thought of you and that you might be hungry or thirsty!

Roboseyo said...

see that's why i never make comments like that until I know.

i've learned a thing or two about tact, living in a different culture:

one way some Koreans show they're concerned about your well being, if you look sick or something, is by saying "Wow. you really look terrible. you look SOOO awful. . . " and go on. In response, I choose words more carefully when I can.