Saturday, October 20, 2007

Good Openers

An excellent book grabs you from the opening line (though if not done well, 'openers' can seem to strain towards suspense rather than grab one's attention). I just finished, for the second time, "The Glass Castle," a memoir by Jeannette Walls, and it begins like this:

I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a Dumpster.

Doesn't that sound interesting?? The book is fascinating! A memoir full of deep poverty and suffering, yet devoid of any self pity. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Louise said...

I love this book too. Also, you are doing such an amazing job with 2 energetic boys and a job without Brent close by...seriously, great, great work. Finally, I also got a pair of black boots this year. I'm not good in heels but I feel good in them:) I have a feeling Brent will like them too!

tamie, the tamie said...

yay! a book recommendation! i've put it on my library waiting list. :)