Friday, January 4, 2008

Contrition

Ayden just came in the kitchen where I was making lunch with a very contrite look on his face, and said, "I'm sorry, mommy!" Uh oh. He led me to the scene of the crime, which was upstairs in our spare bedroom/playroom, and showed me a plugged in rotating fan, wire cutting pliers, and a faint smell of smoke. He got his hands on the tools used to rip up the carpet, managed to plug the fan in despite a childproof outlet cover, and decided to fiddle with the wire using the pliers. I'm guessing he didn't know the pliers were capable of actually cutting the wire and was fairly surprised when "There was a big flash right by my face and I thought our house was going to catch on fire, mommy." Part of me wants to laugh hysterically and part of me wants to cry. If I get these kids to adulthood alive it will be no minor feat!!!

6 comments:

Dawn and Dale said...

Oh my gosh!!! lol Not like things like that haven't happened to all of us!!! ;) Glad everyone is ok!!!!

Roboseyo said...

yikes!

once my brother brought home a cut off electrical cord, pressed the loose ends onto the ends of an AA battery, ad put the other end on my hand. It tingled. I decided to plug the end into the wall, and see what happened if I touched THAT into my palm. Lucky for me, the loose ends of the wire touched together before I touched them into my palm, and the entire kitchen table covered with sparks in a flash. I decided not to put that into my hand.

I was 12.

I think it was a mom who invented the idea of guardian angels.

glad everyone's OK!

Tonya said...

I had a "Melissa" day the other day. I'm thinking I'll have to blog about it. In the middle of it, I was thinking, "this is what happens to Melissa all the time!"

Ms. Dragonfly said...

Holy Sh*t.
If he was a cat, 8 lives left.
I have had the "I'm sorry Mommy".
Gotta love those.

Ro said...

I am sorry but that is the funniest thing ever! Bodhi often relates Aiden to electricity when we talk about it...there is something going on there...
Love you lots friend!

melissa said...

Actually, this situation made me laugh too. Childhood just isn't childhood without some near misses, esp. with electricity. Ayden's name means "Little Fire"--do you think that has anything to do with it? When we chose it we were thinking more like Holy Spirit fire, and fiery personality (though I'd like to trade that in now, for a calmer name), not electrical fire in the spare bedroom.
:D