Sunday, February 10, 2008

Love, love, love to Dr. Seuss

Did you know that Dr. Seuss was born in 1904? And died in 1991? Who knew someone born before cars could write such marvelous books? Not that cars make our artists automatically more sophisticated: but it is difficult to write true classics, that do not show their age, and that stay marvelous nearly a century after they are written (And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street was written in 1937), particularly for children.
Anyways, Ayden's current favourite is "The Lorax," which I never read as a child. We have read it every night for nearly a month. Well, tonight I realized how much it pays off (and remains enjoyable: I don't get tired of The Lorax the way I get tired of Duck Soup or the Pop up Dinosaur book) when Ayden sounded out the words "Lorax" and "Unless," and proceeded to quote the entire story, almost entirely word for word as I read it to him. It was like a weird sort of echo. An echo that leaps and jumps on the bed and sometimes preceeds you, and sometimes follows.
I'm sure this is what Dr. Seuss had in mind when he wrote his spectacular, wild, zany, poetic books. The best part is the imagination.
Love, love, love to Dr. Seuss, wherever he is now...

2 comments:

tamie said...

totally agree.

Roboseyo said...

Of all the artists active in the 20th century, I'd say the ones with the highest chance of still being enjoyed in a thousand more years are The Beatles, Dr. Seuss, and maybe Hemingway. And the Beatles' songs will be like folk songs -- moms will sing Blackbird to soothe their kids to sleep, and only historians will remember the names John, Paul, George and Ringo. Dr. Seuss will be an icon, and the measure by which other children books are always compared.

I think.