Monday, March 31, 2008

My Spanikopita

Stolen from an appetizer recipe in my vegetarian cookbook, and modified to suit my imagined final product. Delicious.

Sautee 1/2 large onion, diced, and 3 cloves minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil (several tablespoons).
Add about 300 grams spinach, sautee until wilted (I buy prewashed spinach in the biggest bag I can find and use it all). Set aside.

Separately combine 2 eggs, a dash of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, and a block of feta cheese (I use soft goat cheese, my fave, but I know Dana and others think it 'smells like hoof' so you could go with your regular feta)

Melt 3 tablespoons butter.
Take 6 to 7 layers of phyllo pastry (frozen food section of grocery store, approx $3 for big box) and brush each layer with melted butter and layer the pastry in a 9x9 inch baking dish (or I use a loaf pan for my smallish sized family).
Mix egg mixture and spinach mixture and place in phyllo pastry, folding phyllo over top.

Bake 35 mins at 350 degrees.

DEElish.
I usually serve this with either greek salad or tomato and boccochini salad with homemade oil and vinegar dressing and fresh cilantro.
Sometimes to bulk up the meal for my hubby I'll also bake some chicken. He's all about the meat. I'm all about the veggies. That's why we make such a good team.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

That looks so yummy. I will have to try it! Eric likes meat too, so we grill sausage a lot of times for him. (My kids like meat too, I think I lost that battle.)