Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BABY BRAIN

So this morning I got up at 6 to attend a work seminar in Coquitlam. I got ready, left around 7 to leave myself time for traffic as my class started at 8:30, and was pleasantly surprised to cross the bridge in under 40 minutes. Awesome, plenty of time. I took the wrong turnoff and had to go ALL the way round the Mary Hill bypass and back the Lougheed to Riverview, where my course was offered. This took an additional 30 minutes. I arrived at Riverview, which is a massive collection of medical buildings largely devoted to mental health, with a warren of roads cris-crossing each other across the property. I promptly got lost. I turned around, found a site map, and managed to get back to the building that offered my course, found parking, and sought out the classroom we were in for the day. I walked in at 8:25 to a dark, empty classrom.
??????????
The class was yesterday. I missed it completely by 24 hours.
Total, total baby brain.

Then later in the day Brent and I realized that for tomorrow morning, he gets off work at 5:00 a.m. and I need to leave for work at 5:00 a.m. So someone has to look after the sleeping children from 5 until 5:20 or so when Brent gets home (if he gets off work on time)! I arranged for the boys to sleep at their grandparents' place so that they would be looked after during that shift overlap and all was good. Until half an hour ago when I realized that I don't need to leave tomorrow until 7:00.
More baby brain!

I've officially sacrificed my brainpower for little Mr. Vose. Based on previous experience I should be smart again when I'm finished breastfeeding, so expect some inarticulate nonsense now for several years!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Since I've been pregnant and breastfeeding for 11 years, I'm not sure I have a brain left! (I have had 2 months where I wasn't pregnant or breastfeeding - I felt like a happy person and realized that I'm continually mildly depressed during all of this.) All that to say that I look forward to the day where I can find out if there still is a brain in my head! :-)

Dana said...

I just realized I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for more than 4 years straight! I think that my semi-fragile emotional state is related more closely to sleep deprivation than to bf hormones, but who knows. I do notice that even when I have a chance to sit still, I can't. I constantly jump up and switch tasks. That, I'll blame on conditioning. Attacking tasks in little bites is the only way I've found to survive with little ones!