Thursday, May 22, 2008

Worry

I think I worry too much. Here are a few things currently on my 'worry plate' that I might think soon about actually letting go of

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
Matthew 6:25 and 26

-preterm labour
-another c-section
-another breech baby
-not being able to breastfeed
-lack of sleep
-proper nutrition
-keeping my family safe
-my husband dying at work
-my husband being forced to harm someone else at work
-my weight
-getting enough exercise
-using the 'best' parenting techniques/philosophies (which I actually don't believe exist, but still I worry I'm not using them)
-war
-ecological disintegration
-pollution
-excess garbage in oceans and landfills
-Biosphenal-A
-anger
-anxiety (is it just me, or is it weird to worry about being anxious?)
-depression
-coping with three kids
-unfaithfulness in my husband
-raising rapists, terrorists, murderers, drug addicts, thieves, or perverts
-raising unhappy children
-money
-becoming ugly

And that's just on a regular, daily basis. Not to mention the 'occasional' worries that come around less frequently. Ha ha. Seriously, I think I need to spend this 'worry time' energy somewhere more positive! Hm, will work on that. Will keep you updated as to (non)progress thereof.

7 comments:

Sara said...

I worry all the time, about everything. It's exhausting. There are a lot of things that I've learned to let go of but anything to do with Kaleb or baby never lets up. When it gets overwhelming, I pray and that takes it away for a while. I sometimes worry that my worrying is preventing me from really enjoying life. I hope that's not true.

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

And Gary thought I was a worrier:) Thanks for making me feel normal! Do you find that by being with someone who is not a worrier (I'm assuming Brent is somewhat like Gary) that it helps you to relax a bit more? Gary has def. helped me with that.

melissa said...

Thanks for making ME feel normal you two! Seriously, I really think it detracts from my positive experience of life. A bit of worry would be okay, but this is all the time. And no, Louise, I don't find being with a non worrier to be helpful in my case, and I don't know why? It just makes me (a) mad, or (b) dismissive of him, for not knowing/caring about this IMPORTANT STUFF I'm obsessing over. Unfortunately. He's good at comforting me about 90% of the time, when I share. Most of the time I don't share. It's just worry. Why infect him too? But maybe I should share more, it makes the worry seem less logical and more surmountable.

nancy said...

in my experience prayer works best - releasing it all to God....over and over and over!
Do you know how beautiful you really are? Your sweet freckely face, shiney wavey hair and gorgeous pregnant belly carrying my perfect 3rd grandson, with the perfect little heartbeat at 152 beats per min. And thats just talking about your external beauty!

melissa said...

Thanks, mommy. There's no one like mom to make you feel better.

:-)

xoxoxoxoxo

melissa said...

p.s. He IS perfect, isn't he? I'm just so glad he's who he is. I can't wait to meet him.

tamie said...

I worry about a lot of those things too, except not the kids stuff. But I actually worry about *someday* not being a good parent. Man oh man. It may be normal to worry, but it's no good. It sucks the joy right out of life. Let's make a pact to do everything in our power to worry less.