Monday, August 18, 2008

Riley Alexander Smith Vose










I've been busy lately! Look at what we did...created and birthed the most beautiful 10 pound, 2 ounce bundle of miracle the world has ever seen! My water sprung a slow leak Wednesday morning, and I had mild, erratic contractions throughout the day. Around 5 p.m. labour really settled into a fixed rhythm, and my contractions changed so I knew they meant business. They started off 2 minutes apart, 45 seconds long, which surprised me. I expected more downtime between them! I couldn't lie down with the contractions, they were too painful if I did that, and also too painful if I sat. So mostly I just walked, or stood in the shower. I tried to sit down on a stool in between, to conserve energy--labour is work enough without having to stand the entire time!! I was able to relax so completely that my labour was pretty effective. 5 hours for the first five centimeters, and three hours more until I felt an incredible urge to push. Then, after almost three and a half hours of pushing, at 5:09 a.m. on Thursday, August 14th, out came Riley! (Who had no name for upwards of 12 hours as we debated and considered which name suited him best!) He is heavy, and round, and long...newborn clothes don't fit him! My first thought when my midwife put him on my chest was, "Wow! He's huge!" Head circumference 37 cm, chest 38 cm, and 57 cm long. He got stuck mid chest, so my midwife had to hook a finger under his armpit and pull him out at the very end, and he needed some resuscitation but he came around pretty quickly. His cord had been compressed behind his shoulder in that last few minutes when he was stuck. I also tore some, because of the quick rescue and the extra stretching from my midwife's hand reaching in to hook under his shoulder. But I tell you, having had a c-section and now going through labour, I'm so happy to have had a successful, natural, unmedicated labour and delivery, and I definitely preferred labour. It's work, and it is intense, and it hurts. But it is powerful, and empowering, and positive, and beautiful, and awe inspiring to be a part of this birth of an individual. So beautiful. C sections can also be wonderful and beautiful, and with Ayden mine was a positive experience, but it's not empowering in its process, because in the truest sense of the word, someone else births your child FOR you. And the recovery sucks. The natural process is powerful and intuitive. It was very amazing and I feel VERY blessed to have been able to experience it. In fact I want to do it again! We came home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon. Riley is the sweetest, most content, happiest, easiest baby in the world. I'm thanking heaven.
I'm thanking heaven, anyways. While taking deep lungfuls of yummy newborn skin. Best perfume in the world.
Love, love, love.

14 comments:

Sara, Leigh, Kaleb, Lola and coconut said...

Yippeee!! Thanks for the pictures. He is so beautiful, big with such a fabulous complexion. I can't wait to see him, and you all.

Lots of love

Roboseyo said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congratulations

Dana said...

Welcome to Riley!!!!!

Congratulations, he is beautiful!

I have been waiting on pins and needles to 'meet' him. I am so excited to hear that your family is doing so well, that Riley is healthy and contented, and that you had a beautiful, satisfying birth experience.

Give him some kisses and snuggles for us!

Dana said...

I also want to acknowledge the tense moments- I would imagine- that you experienced when Riley was stuck and immediately after. And your perserverence in pushing for three and a half hours!

love ya

Breanne said...

Wow. Could a baby be more perfect!? He is SO beautiful! He has Ayden's lips! Seeing him gets me so teary. J was 10'4 and didn't fit into newborn clothes either. :)

Congrats on a successful, natural delivery that is so awesome. You guys are such a cute family.

All the best!

melissa said...

Thank you guys!!! I'm on a serious baby high right now. This was the best thing I've ever done!

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

Yay, I've been waiting to hear your story! He is one big baby, wowwee! So glad that everything went well, I can't imagine pushing for 3.5 hours, you are amazing. Praying that he continues to be a happy, content baby. See you soon!

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

Oh ya, I love his name!!! I would love a Riley or Rylan but it's a little too close to Kai:)

Tonya said...

I've been waiting to here. Welcome! He is so cute and fat. I would love to squish him. :-)

I'm next - and no thanks on a 10 pounder - I'm hoping this one is under 8 pounds! :-)

You did GREAT! I've had to stand through all my labors too, so understood exactly what you were talking about. Oh, enjoy him.

Jen and Andrey said...

I am so teary eyed with delight in reading the news we've been waiting for. Well done, Mel! I am amazed at your abilities in pushing that baby out. You are impressive. And Riley, Wow is he CUTE! I'm so thankful everyone is healthy and happy. Praise God for this new life. Welcome, Riley. Can't wait to meet you.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! Yay! You did great!

Elizabeth said...

Oh he's just beautiful. Congratulations to your whole family! I love the name.
I had a suspision when I didn't see you on Saturday...!!!
Be well, recover, enjoy.

Janet said...

OH!!!!! I am SO excited for you!!!!!!!! Welcome to the world, little man!!! He is soooo cute!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

PS- I ALWAYS wanted to have a natural birth. Alas, they were all c-sections. Sigh. :-)


WOOO HOOOOOO ! I am so happy for you!

lori lls said...

A woman has given birth! A baby has been born! A family has grown!

I am so excited for you and happy as all git-out to read your story. Thank you for sharing.

Welcome, Riley. Welcome.