Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President Obama



I just listened to President Obama's inaguration speech online. I love that man. For the first time in MY memory, a political leader in the United States has cut throught the politics to lead with idealism I respect. They say this next 100 days will set the tone for his entire presidency, and so I am sure we are all going to closely watch what happens in the coming weeks. I'd say he's off to a good start. He doesn't openly criticize repulicans or former President Bush, but cuts through the hairsplitting fruit throwing slander that has become the overwhelming tone of political races in the U.S. in recent years, and addresses the problems we would all like to see tackled with one eye on human ingenuity, imagination, and potential, and the other eye on traditional American ideals such as hard work, determination, education, freedom, democracy, and the preservation of human dignity. Tall order. I think that, of anyone, Barack Obama is the man for the job.

I know I sleep better knowing George W. is out of office, no matter who his successor is, but I sleep all the better knowing his successor is an inspiration like Obama. Now, we watch and see, hopeful that his idealism will take wings and inspire positive change.

Yes, we can!

4 comments:

Caryn and Dan said...

I am also SOOOOO excited to have Bush out of office... in fact Dan and I had a page-a-day calendar last year that was a countdown to the end of Bush's presidency, January 20, 2009. Each day it had a dumb quote from Bush or an embarrasing photo, etc. It was fabulous.

Caryn and Dan said...

P.S. Did you know that they are coming out with Obama Pajamas called, "OBAMAJAMAS."

I want some.

melissa said...

I WANT SOME TOO!!!!

Tonya said...

Hmmmm, not all of us are happy with him. He doesn't uphold everyone's ideals here in the US! I do hope he does a good job, I pray for him to do that. BUT, I cannot agree with him on way too many moral issues. I'm not saying I was a huge fan of George Bush, but I'm not a fan of Obama's either.

Maybe this is a dumb question (and I'm not being rude, I really want to know) - why does this matter so much to you? I guess I'm ignorant, being an American, I don't see how much US politics affect other countries, is that it? :-)