Sunday, February 15, 2009

Breastfeeding love

I found this new blog by another momma that I really like. She posted about breastfeeding recently and she gave me permission to quote her. I'd like to add a few thoughts to the breastfeeding mix, before I quote her wonderful post. First of all, breastfeeding is miraculous to me . I'm so astounded by how stinking healthy my baby is on a pure diet of JUST MY MILK! The more I learn, the more miraculous the process seems to me. It's white gold, people. Pure and simple. I love to breastfeed, because it empowers me, feeds my baby the perfect diet, and makes me feel close to him. But there is no doubt about it: breastfeeding is sacrifice. It cuts into my free time. It involves closely sharing my body and my personal space with someone else, 24/7/365. For me, the first three months are WORK and sweat and foundation laying...besides the universal learning-to-feed that the baby goes through and the (re)-learning-to-breastfeed that the mom goes through, I have a very forceful letdown that is difficult for my babies to grapple with until they grow into it. Thus, breastfeeding is generally work and not joy for the first three months. But the reward is a breastfeeding relationship that is truly unique and wonderful, and something I will always feel good about, long after my children have weaned and grown and reaped the benefits of my milk.
Here is Corin's take on breastfeeding (check out her blog! She's a cool momma). Thanks for permission to reprint, Corin.


I LOVE breastfeeding. I just have to say it. Gosh, it's just the coolest thing in the whole world. I was putting Levi to bed tonight with our usual routine. I rock him and nurse him, then lay him on his tummy {GASP!} in bed and put his pacifier in his mouth and he goes to sleep. Some nights though he's a little more restless than others and I pick him up a few times and just hold him until he's comfortable enough to go back to sleep. Anyway, tonight he tossed his head back and forth a bit and seemed like he wanted to be held so I picked him up with his pacifier in his mouth and held him cradle style like always. He turned his head toward my face as I was putting him in position and opened his mouth to let the pacifier fall out and with eyes closed, and parted lips started to ever so gently pace his mouth back and forth across my lips, thinking that my lips were my nipples {ooooooh if all men could have their way!}. So I sat back down in the glider and nursed him {again} even though I know for a fact he wasn't hungry, he'd just nurse five minutes before that. I sat there and just relished how good that made me feel; that he wanted me. The latex thingy in his mouth was just that to him. A latex thingy. But he wanted me. The real deal. He knows where comfort lies. He knows where to go for safety and familiarity. He knows that when he calls for me, I come. When he calls to be nursed, I nurse. I provide. I give. I surrender. I let every guard down for him. All for him. And he knows it. I LOVE that.

It's what a mother was meant to do. Give all. No matter how many women take offense to that, it's true. We were born to birth, to nurse, to nurture, completely, in pain and in joy, in loneliness, in comfort, all of it, not just the easy parts but the hard parts especially. It's what we do best when nature is at it's best; unobstructed, untouched, left at it's own, no lights, no machines, no man in a white cloak telling us stick there or push it out or suck it in. Just us all by ourselves. Two people alone in a dark room, telling one another without words how much they love each other. Giving all that one has...receiving the world in return.

1 comment:

Asheya said...

Great post. I feel the same way about breastfeeding, that it's so important and so bonding, but at the same time it does require sacrifice.