Monday, May 4, 2009

Riley climbs!

Today Riley climbed the stairs for the first time! We got it on video but not on our camera, unfortunately. So I can't show you a photo. But it happened! Instead, I'll show you a photo of spaghetti night (tonight)...





Ayden was such a soother baby. A pacifier would solve ALL the world's problems for Ayden, 100% of the time. Riley is ambivilant towards his soother. He'll take it, but he'll also fling it across the room if he's cranky or if it is not what he wants. It will only solve the problem of wanting something to suck on, but not the problem of being put in his carseat, or being hungry, or wanting a nearby toy...
The past few nights he has gone to sleep without it. Nursed for awhile, popped off, hummed for a bit, and fell asleep. This is SOOOOO different from Ayden. Matthew was similar to Riley. He voluntarily gave up his soother at about 9 months. But, interestingly, both Matthew and Riley are VERY oral kids--Matthew still sucks and chews on everything, and Riley puts everything in his mouth, persistantly. Ayden just wasn't like that. We kept choking hazards away from him, but for the most part he didn't put stuff in his mouth and was easliy distracted from doing so if he started to. He definately had stopped putting things in his mouth at all by about 18 months [except for that soother; he kept that until he turned 3 and it started giving him a blister on his top lip! Gosh, he loved that thing].


Mmm, something else I wanted to share with you was this stuff:

my cousin bought it for me in Victoria, but you can order it online from here as well. A 50 ml tin lasted me over 6 months, and it works BETTER than zinc cream on my baby's bum. And Riley has a VERY sensitive bum. The ingredients are beeswax, olive oil, calendula, comfry, and one other healing herb I can't remember off the top of my head. They also sell belly rub for pregos, respiratory rub for coughs and colds, and a few other items, all earth friendly, baby friendly, and momma approved. Costs $10. I love this product. It is also okay to use with fleece cloth diapers, with which it is NOT recommended to use zinc cream (it destroys the absorbability of the fleece). I love it!

Brent took a picture of me talking on the phone today. I was wondering what he was up to, until I saw that he had handed Riley a phone, too...


4 comments:

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

Riley is growing up so fast! Spaghetti?? Stairs?? Wow. Did I mention he's super cute?!

Dana said...

Wow, Riley is not going to be a baby anymore by the time I finally get to meet him! Already up the stairs! Thanks for the butt cream advice. I'm going to have to start my online ordering soon so it's all delivered by the time I need to cart it all back to Mexico....

Tonya said...

I like the high chair thing you're using for Riley. I don't even have a high chair right now! Liza isn't doing much food yet, so it's been ok.

Riley is such a cutie! He'll be walking by the time I get to see him!!!

Tania Grim said...

so cute! Riley sure seems like such a sweetie pie.Do you find him heavy on your back. I haven't used my carrier in so long.