Monday, August 17, 2009

Dudes, how did he KNOW?

It doesn't get much more gong show than this little story....
Yesterday was Riley's official birthday party, at the water park in Walnut Grove, and it was a TON of fun (I will post pictures later, but in the meantime I have to tell you this story).
So, we come home from the party and of course we parents are TRASHED, and the kids are fully hyper. Including the birthday boy. It took me over an hour of nursing and cuddling to get Riley to settle down and go to sleep, but finally he did. I knew I had to work this morning, and I knew that I would be anxious about this, so after Riley went to sleep ALL my energy went into staying calm enough so that some sleep would be possible. I tried and I tried. Eventually I fell asleep between midnight and 12:30, which is decent because a good four hours is golden for me before a day shift. Any more is just too much to expect of myself, since I get so nervous. Pretty much always. Anyways, I had set my alarm for 4 a.m. which gave me 45 minutes to eat, shower, pack a lunch, and get dressed before leaving for my 45 minute drive to work. My job is the type where you can't be late, because it royally screws someone and that someone NEVER appreciates working an extra 2 hours or so on your behalf (if someone calls 9-1-1 just before shift change and you aren't there yet, night shift has to finish that call before you can switch)....
Riley woke up at 1:38. I fully expected this. I settled into my bed with him and he nursed and then sat up and said, "Doowa?" and wanted to play. When I rolled away from him, he grabbed frantically at me and cried. Play with me, play with me...
After a few minutes of this I pushed him towards Brent, who took over trying to appease him and get him to sleep.
At 2:30, I asked Brent to take him downstairs and try to put him to sleep there, where I wasn't so appealingly close, and so that I could try to get some sleep. He screamed so loud and long and hard downstairs that I couldn't sleep anyways, and after another hour of that, when he was at the point of choking on his own spit in rage, I gave in and went to get him.
So it was now 3:30 a.m., I have to get up for the day at 4:00, and I have slept a total of 1 hour. I have to SAVE LIVES. I have to DRIVE A VERY LARGE VEHICLE. I have to remember TEN THOUSAND VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS. I have had ONE HOUR of sleep.
I figured some boob and a cuddle with mommy would be enough, but he STILL DID NOT GO TO SLEEP!!! At 4 I got up, he cried through my shower, ate breakfast with me, and toddled around all wobbly and tired with puffy eyes while I got dressed. At 4:45 I had to put him in Brent's arms, say goodbye, and leave him with his arms outstretched and mouth wide open, crocodile tears and all....

How did he KNOW I was going to work today?
How did he KNOW I desperately needed SLEEP, and interfered?

Argh.

Reportedly he settled down within 5 minutes of me leaving and went to sleep for 6 hours. Then had his nap without complaint. His parents are zombies, but he got his just deserts?

I blame the party food. He never eats hot dogs, and he had a hot dog. And the frosting from his cupcake.

This is the gongingest gong I've ever experienced.
GONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course work was too busy for naps.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.....

5 comments:

nancy said...

GROSS!

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

How did work go?!

Dana said...

Brutal brutal brutal! I would have been weeping....

Dawn and Dale said...

You even blogged on your first day back to work...after only one hour of sleep..... you're doing better than me!! lol ;-)

The Land of the Lamberts said...

kids just know these things...this type of "gong" has happened many times in my raising of small children. A.N.N.O.Y.I.N.G.!!! Keep up the good work, mommy!