Monday, September 28, 2009

Autumn



This morning I went for a long walk with my friend Kim and her 2 year old daughter. I brought along Riley, the Bob, and Simon, and we walked for over two hours in the warm sunshine at the river's edge. It was gorgeous. Yesterday the water park was on, though we didn't play in it. Just drove past. Then, this afternoon some clouds rolled in, and by boot camp this evening it was pouring rain and FREEZING! I think fall is officially here. I'm so grateful we had such a sunny September, it was like an extension on summer. So tonight I put some candles on the windowsill in our bedroom and lit them. They look so cozy next to the dark window. It makes them more cozy knowing it is cold and rainy outside. I hear a forecast of hail tonight! What a sudden turn over.

I love autumn, but I love spring better. I hate the march towards winter that fall represents.

I have to say, I love my kids. They are all three sparkly and smart and fun and energetic and hilarious. I'm so glad I have them in my life, and I feel very very satisfied with my three. Which doesn't rule out having more in the future, but just notes that I am happy and fulfilled with what I have.

Remember on Thursday night when I posted that I had to work the next morning but I was up at midnight canning applesauce? So I got 4 hours of sleep that night, but figured I would make up for it the next night. We had a work crossover that next night so I picked the kids up at Brent's parents' place and by the time I got everyone settled in bed after work, I only got 7 hours of sleep. I figured the next night I could make up for it for sure. Well, the next night rolled around and Riley decided to wake up at 1:30 and roll around the bed for a few hours, climbing on us and talking and kicking us in the face and biting me every time I tried to breastfeed him. Rock on. Eventually I left the room and climbed in the spare bunk bed in the playroom. I could hear Riley slapping his palms against our bedroom door from the inside, and crying to follow me. Brent snuggled him in his arms and he fell asleep within a minute and a half. So that night I got about 5 or 6 hours of sleep. Holy keerap, this is looking a lot like last fall when I never slept more than 4 or 5 hours per night and about once a week stayed up all night long because I had insomnia from my anxiety disorder. Only back then I at least had high levels of adrenaline in my system all the time, so it wasn't hard to get through the day on very little sleep. Now I am more 'normal' in my sleep habits and daytime adrenaline levels so a sleep shortage really slams me. So. Last night, for sure, right? Riley didn't go to sleep until midnight. Holy jeepers.
My theory is that he is stressed about me working and being gone 2 days in a row every week, and is experiencing sleep disturbances as a result. [yes, it's always all my fault]. Barring that, it could be a normal aberration. Maybe I need to fiddle with his naps or something. Hm.

But I am TIRED. Dudes, so TIRED! I have yet to recover from my 17 hour day on Saturday (15 hrs work time, 2 hours travel time), which overtime I willingly agreed to because it was an extra $150 for me to stay for only 3 extra hours (!!), but which of course made me quite tired.

I got my schedule for October, and I work an average of ONE day a week, and have the first two weeks off. Hooray!


4 comments:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

Feeling tired makes EVERYTHING hard for me. To bad sleep deprevation seems so tightly tied to parenting duties sometimes.

Sara and family said...

Are you guys coming over on Friday night?

Can't wait to see you all.

Tonya said...

Don't worry, soon enough your adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine with no sleep. :-) Not that I have experience in this area or anything!

Seriously, I do hope you can avoid running on adrenaline. It is so bad for your body. It seems fine for a while, but eventually your body crashes. Again, not speaking from experience or anything... I wish.

Deb said...

When Aria says "awesome" it ends up sounding more like "autumn" your title made me think of that.

I miss sleep - I was up for 1.5 hours last night. It's not that Aria's up, it's that once she's in bed, my mind is spinning and I can't settle down. *sigh* I miss a full night's sleep, but I remind myself that soon enough that won't be a concern.