Friday, September 25, 2009

Broken Pump

Another busy day at work. I've actually composed a song about the town I work in, and I would like to share it with you;

Oh Chilliwack, Oh Chilliwack, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Chilly-wack, why oh why oh WHYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Do you smell like POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO??
Every day I drive to work in the early morn,
and when I pass Number 3 Road I hit
a wall, a wall, a wall of POOP SMELL
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, oh, oh, oh, pooooooooooop smell!


Music industry, STEP ASIDE. My name is talent.
So I'm working my ass off in a city that smells like poop, and I only had a very few minutes to pump milk, and my PUMP IS BROKEN. Aughhhhhhhhhhh.....
The milk I pump at work goes to both Matthew and Riley. My boobs need to remember to make milk always, even when I'm at work. But you know what? I'm okay. I got about an ounce out of my broken pump after 15 minutes of fiddling, and I'll feed Riley and pump some more with my other pump (it's nice to be the daughter of a lactation consultant; copious pumps, some of them for free!) when I get home. Isn't that SO UNLIKE ME? I'm the ANXIOUS WOMAN who is always STRESSED OUT ABOUT MILK SUPPLY, and here I am rolling with life's hiccups. Pumpless at work. You know what? It's one day, and I'll be home in a few hours, where Riley will be more than happy to unload me.

Look at me go.

I ordered three books from Amazon the other day (one really must spend enough to get free shipping, right?). Childbirth Without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read, Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin, and It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather B Armstrong. Amazon has sent me an email to let me know that my order has been shipped! Woohoo! I love books, I love books, I LOVE BOOKS! This is like Christmas Day for me, knowing a parcel with BIRTH BOOKS and a POSTPARTUM MOOD DISORDER BOOK is coming to my door very soon! Wow, am I a nerd or what?
Did I tell you I started the application process for UBC's School of Midwifery? I'm applying for next fall. I'm not sure at ALL that I will get in the first year I apply, but I'm giving it a shot. Wish me good luck! I also have a doula client for October and I'm planning on signing up for the breastfeeding counsellor's course at Douglas College in January.
:)

Feels good, people. I'm planning my exit from the world of paramedicine.....

3 comments:

nancy said...

hand expression works in a pinch!
love mom

Rachel Clear said...

I'm surprised it doesn't smell like poop when you get on number TWO freeway... snicker snicker.

Yay for you for pumping, singing, and getting your midwifery groove on, Mel!

Jen said...

Yeah! So happy that you're starting the midwifery ball-a-rollin'! So exciting.