Sunday, November 1, 2009

what is up with daylight savings time anyways?

I hate having to try and keep track of when the time is going to change twice a year. It's too frequent to forget altogether, but not frequent enough to actually remember on the day OF. I'm sitting around waiting for an hour to pass because five minutes ago I was running around and sweating trying to get to church on time. And then I realized I was an hour early, and now I've got time to kill. The kids are in the car. This takes a herculean effort I don't much want to repeat, so we're waiting IN THE CAR. I gave them a book and got the laptop for myself, and here we are. Oh, hilarious life. Brent always remembers, but he is at work this morning. Come to think of it, he was probably an hour early for work because his clock was wrong when I woke up this morning. Or maybe it wasn't? But I think it was...
Oh, my foggy brain.

Last night's halloween celebrations were very fun. I've been having trouble in the past few years with all the kid centered holidays, because I get anxious about making them magical and fun for the kids. Birthdays are still a lot like this for me, but I was pretty relaxed about halloween this year. That rocked! Brent worked, so I got three kids, a stroller, and a dog out the door just after five p.m., in costume regalia. I took some pix, so I'll share those sometime when I'm not in the car waiting for daylight savings time church to start. Brent's sister Cherilyn came over to see the boys' costumes and take some pictures, and she offered to come with me when it was time to trick or treat. I was so glad she did! It really is a two man job to take three kids door to door for candy. Especially with a very excited dog and a stroller. It was nice to have an extra grownup to remind the boys not to cross the street blind or alone, and to keep the dog from knocking over the stroller every three seconds. Riley was SO CUTE, and the bigger boys too: they had to tell everyone who opened their door, "Our baby brother is coming too, and he's a monkey, and he has a banana in his pocket, and he's really cute!! And this year we got a lot of chips from people when we were trick or treating!" Everyone gets the full story. Ayden will often do this about his middle brother, to perfect strangers. "That's my brother Matthew. He's adopted from Thailand. His skin is brown, because Thailand people have brown skin. He's five and sometimes he's annoying to me." It's hilarious. Fortunately Matthew doesn't mind. After trick or treating we went to Brent's parents' place for a wiener roast. Awesome!

So I wanted to mention something I've encountered at work, which I'm sure everyone could recognize as a familiar situation--we've all seen it. See, there is this guy who works at my station who is younger and less experienced than me, and than most of the other paramedics in our station. He's smart, and he is a good paramedic. But he's arrogant. And the reason why he is arrogant is because he is somewhat of a golden boy. His dad is a doctor in town, and has been for over 30 years. His mom is a nurse in the ER. So of course every nurse in Emerg fawns over him and admits him into their inner circle and totally trusts everything he says, and pats his ego. Whatever, it happens. But it makes him feel pretty good, right? Which translates into some pretty annoying behaviour. He will cut people off midsentence if he disagrees with them (he has done this to me a LOT, and I've seen him do it with even the most seasoned paramedics in our station), and is very peremptory. He has no inkling of diplomacy. You know, "I think actually...." or "I heard" or "I was taught..." Rather, he says "No it's not." or "That's not accurate." or "I know..." Medicine is an inexact science that passes itself off as absolute truth and it drives me nuts that he can't see or admit that. Not that it is unusual for a medical practitioner to be blind to this, at all, but I usually harbour a higher expectation of insight for younger and newer practitioners. You know? We should be critical thinkers. But so often we're not. It bothers me also that he has set up his life to feel safe. He lives and works in the town he grew up in, works in the profession his parents still work in, has a little wife and baby at home to make him feel grown up, and works in a profession below his intellectual capacity. Wouldn't we all like to live so safe a life, with no one challenging us and everyone thinking we're so intelligent all the time??
But where's the character growth? He's rapidly becoming someone who is irritating to work with, because his safe life makes him so confident and challenges him so infrequently.

I just wanted to gripe. Because obviously I can't gripe about him at work.

It's time for church. I should go!
xo

4 comments:

Lou and Marilyn Sawchenko said...

Maybe the people of Saskatchewan are the smartest in the country because they stay on the same time all year. :)

tamie said...

It is TOTALLY HILARIOUS that you guys all stayed in that car. That is genius and SO FUNNY.

How's the church situation going?

I comPLETEly agree with you about the daylight savings thing (I've been living in AZ all these years, which doesn't switch with daylight savings, it's been great!).

And also: is there any way you could talk to your coworker about his behavior? I don't have much experience interacting with coworkers, but with friends at least it seems like it's best to just put the cards on the table.

Rachel Clear said...

There are lots of things I love about this post.

First and foremost, I agree with Tamie that it is TOTALLY HILARIOUS that you waited in the car. I can just picture it and that picture, my friend, makes me laugh. However, I personally LOVE daylight savings (in the fall) because I desperately need that extra hour of sleep. I wake up at the exact same time every day, so now that exact same time is an hour earlier and I get up and get going an hour earlier. I LOVE IT. I'm sure having kids will ruin this a bit, as people with kids seem to agree that kids don't get onboard with daylight savings one bit.

Anyways.

I also love that you want things to be magical for your kids. You are? Awesome. That is awesome. I bet just having a mom who freaking CARES will make those memories seem even more magical later on.

Thirdly, I love that you work so hard to be open-minded and all that, and that you want that same thing from others (like annoying co-worker). That is a very valid, fair thing to want of others. I wish everyone was so.

Jen said...

I like what you said about "science being an inexact science that passes itself off as absolute truth." This seems true of a lot of things and it also bugs me when people think in black and white. I think that plays into the comfort/safe thing. Life feels safer if you can view it in black and white and think you have all the answers. Sorry you have to deal with someone like this at work but glad you can vent about it here. I can so relate.