Monday, December 14, 2009

Brent protests

I found this in the comments section of my last post, and it made me laugh so hard I had to share it with everyone:


Editor's note: Although the writer refers to her husband as 'hating' documentaries the editorial board knows this to be untrue. The referenced 'husband' likes documentaries but finds it sometimes exasperating when he is asked by the writer what type of movie she should get from the video store and he replies 'something we haven't seen that's entertaining' and the writer returns with an obscure documentary on the spread of foot fungus that's in an equally obscure language. Although educational, the choices made by the writer often fall outside of the 'entertaining' requirement and the really tired husband (who only slept 5 hours in the last 36) involuntarily catches up on his sleep while trying to spend 'quality time' with the writer. The editorial board requests that the writer make an immediate correction in order to convey a more balanced version of the truth.





Ha ha. I also watched another documentary last night, Air India 182.



If you want to hand select a documentary that will make you despair of human decency and the state of humanity, this is your film. Pretty grim. Pretty gruesome in some parts, too. You KNOW it's gruesome when a paramedic rates it as such. I've seen lots of dead people. But I've never seen mass murder of 331 people all at once, men, women, children, and babies. Pretty awful. The movie was about a subject that is important to know about, particularly for Canadians. But not too often, or for too long, because the disaster was so devastatingly sad, and so violent. It's not good to be in such close proximity to violence of that magnitude for very long (although the families of those who died live in close proximity to it without rest, don't they?). Sad, sad, sad.

4 comments:

Rachel Clear said...

This post gets the award for "most emotionally up and down post of all time".

At first, was I laughing. That Brent. Pretty much whenever he opens his mouth on your blog, it's damn funny.

But then, man, I was really sad about that documentary.

You really know how to keep us on our toes, girl!

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

I thought the exact same thing. I felt like I couldn't say that your husband was hilarious after reading the rest of your post. But yes, Brent is a funny guy.

Tonya said...

I hate documentaries too, Brent. Or, I should say, I enjoy entertaining movies much more. I mean, why walk away from watching something and feel like crap? Which is what happened when you watched that documentary last night, Mel! See, WHY? Brent, I'll watch an entertaining movie with you any day. Melissa, stay away from me with those depressing documentaries! :-)

Rachel Clear said...

Mfel, have you read Emili Louann's birth story yet? If not, you must run, run and read it right this minute!