Saturday, December 5, 2009

Recipes

Tamie wanted recipes from all my fooding last week. Okay!! My cousin also proposed a recipe sidebar on the blog...a fantastic idea...I wonder if it would work??

First of all, the roast chicken;

one roasting or frying chicken (frying ones are smaller)
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp red wine vinegar

mix the sauce ingredients and paint them on the chicken. Place the painted chicken in a roasting pan, fill the bottom of the pan with 2 cups of chicken broth (I used 2 cups epicure vegetable broth), and roast uncovered, basting every 1/2 hour or so, until meat thermometer says chicken is done (approx 1 hour for frying chickens, 1.5 to 2.5 hours for roasting chickens, depending on size).

To make the gravy, lift the cooked chicken out of the pan, skim the fatty bits out, and put the roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of flour, and whisk. I added another cup of broth at this point, but had wayyyy too much gravy then because my kids wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I also made mashed potatoes, with my heartattack creamy recipe;
6 or 7 potatoes, peeled and boiled and mashed with:
homogenized milk
several scoops of sour cream
several scoops of butter
several scoops of cream cheese
(I wonder why I can't lose weight???)

and salad.



Cheesy Chicken Whatchamacallit is AWESOME and popular with all of my kids

Cook up enough egg noodles to fill a casserole dish (approx 3/4 of a package). Rinse under cool water, set aside.

Dice 2 to 3 chicken breasts and set aside
Cook 7 or 8 mushrooms in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for 5 minutes (if you start with a very deep, big frying pan you will only need to dirty one pot)
Add chicken and cook until opaque
remove from heat and set aside
melt 2 tbsp butter
Add 2 tbsp flour
Add 2 cups of milk
heat until milk is boiling, stirring constantly
Add 1/4 cup of cream cheese and stir until well mixed
Add 10 oz of spinach leaves
cook for 2 to 3 minutes
Add 1/8th cup parmesean cheese
Stir in mushrooms, chicken, and juice
Add 1 to 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, mix until melted
Add to noodles and put in casserole dish

Sprinkle 1/8th of a cup of parmesean cheese on top, and 1/8th of a cup of bread crumbs
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes
(as you can see, it comes by its cheesy name honestly)




Chicken soup

Boil the bones and carcass from the roast/frying chicken for 4 hours in 10 to 15 cups of water, with 1 tbsp vinegar added to help remove calcium from the bones and into your broth, for a great, dairy free source of calcium.

Remove bones, fat, and skin, leaving behind as many chunks of meat as possible.

Optional: let stock sit in fridge overnight, skim off fat in the morning.

Add some sort of oxo or epicure or other soup base flavouring to the stock, Add veggies (I use celery, onions, carrots, peppers, zucchini, and bok choy--grate the veggies your kids don't like and they'll never know they are in there), basil, thyme, and parsley, and simmer for approx 1 hour, then add cooked rice or pasta.

My kids rave about my soup, though this last batch they poked around whining about the ingredients and pushing them around their bowls, so I dunno what I did wrong.




Pat Harrington's famous granola (Pat is my friend's mom, and she makes the world's BEST granola. I fandangled the recipe from her, and now I share it with you)

Mix in a large bowl:
8 cups 5 minute oats
4 cups wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded coconut (I don't like coconut so I leave this one out)
1 cup chopped almonds in brown skins

Combine 1/2 cup canola oil and 3/4 to 1 cup honey in pyrex measure and melt lightly in microwave (I use corn oil because canola oil is supposed to be less healthy since it is made from genetically cross bred/modified rapeseed, which is poisonous? I think that's how it goes)

Blend into above mix coating evenly

Divide mix into quarters
Roast 1/4 per cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 8 to 9 minutes. Turn and stir and roast another 5 to 6 minutes.

When cool add 1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup craisins, and 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (I leave out the apricots because they have sulfites added to them, and I use organic raisins, and ocean spray craisins, which have no sulfites. I can't find sulfite free apricots that my family will actually eat)

Store in airtight container.

Serve with yogurt or milk. Or eat by the handful when you are making dinner. :)))))




Here, also is my Amish Oatmeal recipe

melt 1/3 cup of butter, set aside
beat 2 large eggs well, add 3/4 cup brown sugar (I use 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey instead)
add 1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
Mix well until no lumps.
Whisk in butter and 1 cup of milk, then add 3 cups whole oats (5 minute oats), 1/4 cup each millet seeed and flax meal (I can't find millet seed so I use bran).
Stir well, pur into 8x8 dish
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes


Serve with yogurt and fruit (I use frozen fruit we picked in the summer! Blueberries are most popular in our house)

3 comments:

Keli said...

what happened to my best friend who upon receiving kitchen things for her wedding put them firmly in the 'for-my-husband' pile ;)
just found your blog again after over a year of futile google searches and it's nice to reconnect!
xx

melissa said...

HEYYYYYYYYY KELIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!! Missed you, babe! I dunno what happened to me....I got tired of Brent's repertoire of shepherd's pie and pasta with meatballs? No, I learned how to cook out of necessity when Brent went away for 6 months. Now I'm good at it, though I only like it marginally more than I did before. I like to EAT, though! Like, good food with variety and lots of vegetables!
So, I cook.
how conventional of me......

tamie said...

I have to remember to use these recipes, now that you posted them! Thank you so much!!!