Monday, January 18, 2010

Breastfeeding Course for Health Care Providers

My perinatal schooling has begun! I am enrolled in Dougals College's Breastfeeding Course for Health Care Providers, Tuesday evenings from 7 to 10 pm!! My first class was last Tuesday. I LOVE IT!!! I love the reading, the homework, the vast swathes of information, the project, the idea of clinicals, EVERYTHING! I'm a little, tiny bit excited. You may have noticed.

Hooray for milk!!!



p.s. for our group project presentation, I'm going to make cupcakes and decorate them with this symbol above, which is the international breastfeeding symbol. Anything to make people pay attention!!!!

I'm trying to choose between these two ideas for my project:
(1) The effects of sexual abuse and trauma on the breastfeeding relationship
[many women who have survived abuse find breastfeeding difficult]
(2) The benefits of extended breastfeeding for mothers and toddlers
[obviously a topic I'm interested in!]

I am more interested in option #1, and believe it to be a multifaceted situation with many variables and much potential for healing affects OR retraumatization, if mishandled. But it is BIG, I'm not sure how much research is out there on this topic, and it is sobering. Presenting this topic in class could be a pretty heavy undertaking. But the topic REALLY captures my attention. Isn't it awful that sexual abuse and trauma can continue to traumatize for a woman's entire life? It makes me angry that perpetrators of this type of violence can steal away a woman's ability to initiate or sustain a breastfeeding relationship in some cases, and take away an infant's human right to breastmilk.
For some women birth and breastfeeding can be a healing way to take back ownership of their bodies and selves after surviving abuse. I would love to discover how to make that experience a more frequent one.

Pondering....

10 comments:

Louise and Gary Chapman said...

My sister took that course too, I think it was for being a public health nurse. She loved it!

Sara and family said...

I was supposed to take the course this session but had to put it off till the fall. I can't wait to take it.

Your perinatal education started a long time ago, with a pregnancy.

Tania Grim said...

hey breastfeeding clinic is in need of milk pretty badly i here , if you or you know someone willing to donate look into it :)

amy frances said...

If you choose topic #1, would you be willing to share your research?

man-nurse said...

What are you going for?

Asheya said...

Topic #1 would definitely be complex, but in the end I would think highly useful. If 1 in 3 women have supposedly experienced some type of sexual abuse, with the number possibly being even higher as many, many incidents are not reported, then sexual abuse trauma is potentially affecting a LOT of breastfeeding women and their babies.

If you choose this topic I will be very interested in your research.

If you choose topic #2 and need a case study for extended breastfeeding, feel free to ask me!

lori lls said...

I am excited for and with you! Tell us everything you learn!

Also, if you have trouble putting that symbol on cupcakes, it might be nice to have simple cupcakes with a variety of white, cream, and black frostings, and a single matching candy in the middle of each. See what I mean? Boobie cupcakes.

Sara and family said...

I meant to vote earlier, I say #2 and I'm happy to offer my own experiences in extended breastfeeding.

tamie said...

I'd really love it if you did option #1. I certainly have a personal interest in that topic. But of course I support you whichever topic you choose!!!

Yay Mel!

ms emili louann said...

great topics - both!

i'd be interested in the extended bf one... but whichever :)

i hope jonah nurses to a solid two years - maybe beyond! i was heart-broken when elijah "self-weaned" at 18 months :(