Monday, January 25, 2010

Bye Bye Paci

In our part of Canada we call pacifiers soothers. I've been doing a bit of reading (har har) on breastfeeding and I learned some stuff that I didn't know about sou sous and boobs. I knew that they could interfere with early establishment of breastfeeding and milk supply and correct latch, and that they are associated with a higher incidence of breast biting.
But we use them. I introduce pacis to help cope with my overly abundant milk supply and very forceful letdown in the early months. It is very difficult to meeting a newborn's emotional sucking needs when your boobs shoot milk out like a hose--haven't we all as kids stuck our whole mouths over the end of the hose and had the water shoot out our noses from the force of it?! [maybe that was just me?] Even as newborns, my babies finish feeding within 5 to 10 minutes, and aren't hungry again for awhile. And they CHUB OUT FAST, so I know they aren't going hungry! Anyways, most newborns have an inherent sucking need that requires more than 10 out of every 120 minutes' worth of sucking, so I use a soother to fill in the gaps.
And then, it comes in handy in the car and when I work night shifts, so it sticks around.
But two things;
I read that pacifier use has been definitively linked with early weaning, which is something I want to avoid at this point.
AND, pacifier use has been linked with higher incidence of breast yeast infections. Since I'm currently battling my FOURTH painful yeast infection in a year, I am open to any and all suggestions regarding AVOIDING future infections.

Since my breastfeeding needs have changed, I think we've outgrown the sou sou. So we are slowly phasing it out. He never asks for it if he doesn't SEE it, and he frequently sleeps without it, so I think it will be a pretty painless goodbye. The worst part will be when I work nights and Brent has to deal with him alone. Ri generally refuses milk, water, cuddles, etc, and needs to be walked around the house to prove I'm not home, if he wakes up at night while I'm working. He settles again in 10 to 20 minutes [I think], and doesn't wake too often so hopefully it will be okay.
There was one night recently where B got less than an hour of sleep, because Ri was up crying every 10 minutes. I can't see that happening very often, and it shouldn't take long for Ri to find another self soothing method.
Here's hoping.

4 comments:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

I'm pretty convinced right now that Silas will still be sucking a soother to put himself to sleep in his dorm room at university.

Little stinker.

Matt and Colleen said...

True has not had his pacifier in a year and a half. But a couple of times a week, I find him under the table or in his bed with Zoey's pacifier in his mouth!!! He's three years old. : )

Rachel Clear said...

Very informative, Mel. I am going to LOVE absorbing all of your knowledge as you take these classes!

I've always known pacifiers weren't (a necessary evil, maybe?)and had sort of discouraged people from using them, but I never knew exactly why (just a thing or two I'd heard over the years) so this is so helpful to have this information on hand.

Rachel Clear said...

Also, I love how your are so open to knowledge. I know a lot of people who decide what they think, and then they interpret knowledge according. They accept what goes along with their pre-existing world-view and they reject what doesn't. You are so open that I love it. You allowed yourself to learn something new and better, even though it contradicted with what you'd done in the past. That is so admirable. It might seem like a little thing, but it really is huge.

I've always loved the quote "The best way to know that you still have a mind...is to change it." Know what I'm saying? This was a perfect example of how there are a lot of things that we do, without every knowing why. Then you learn some things and go, "Aww, I don't need to do that thing anymore." Refreshing, no?! :)