Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So I showed up for work 2 hours early today. The universe's way of making up for my lateness last weekend? Jeepers. This resulted in me being moved to a different ambulance shift, which was GREAT--I got to avoid transfer car, and work emerg car instead! :)))))
It was a very busy day.

I attended my La Leche League meeting yesterday, as a clinical observer for my breastfeeding course. Which is kinda hilarious, because I'm a member of this LLL group and go to all of the monthly meetings. Now I'm an observer. :D
It was a good month to 'observe,' because we had a good, universally applicable topic (the first week of life), two new attendees, and some excellent questions and discussion. It was good to observe from the perspective of a student. It gave me an even deeper appreciation for our leader--she is amazingly good at balancing non judgement and emotional support, with delivery of accurate breastfeeding information. Plus she's super nice. I like her a lot!

And I LOOOOVE my course. I learn a ton. It has actually helped me a ton, inadvertently, nursing Riley. The soother is almost totally gone. I think Brent is more attached to it than Riley at this point: it only comes out while I'm at my breastfeeding course and B has to put the baby to bed. And I've adjusted my hold *slightly,* and am SO MUCH more comfortable! This past week I would have to say I've learned the most about achieving optimal latch (and retrospectively critiquing myself with both my biological babies), and what research has to say about why women breastfeed, and which women breastfeed. The older a woman is, the more educated she is, the more white she is, the more likely she is to breastfeed. Contact with health care professionals who promote breastfeeding has little effect on outcomes. The single largest predictor of breastfeeding initiation is spousal support. If spouses or significant others are supportive, women breastfeed. If they are not, rates plummet. Very interesting! Brent's support is awesome. Totally awesome. I'm very grateful for it.
The next greatest factor is peer and family support. Communities that support breastfeeding directly affect the health of the babies and children in their midst for the positive.
Attendance at prenatal classes and access to prenatal care ranked low on the list, but above contact with health care providers.

So fascinating.

I love this class. AND my teacher uses these knit boobs to demonstrate all kinds of various breast dos and don'ts and positions and equipment uses--I need to learn to make me some of those boobs! Perfect for demos and for teaching. Awesome!

xo, all.

Going to sleep.....

1 comment:

Asheya said...

One of the things I am grateful for is how supportive Eric has been of me breastfeeding. Those first 8 weeks with Elias were pretty brutal, and if it hadn't been for my own determination to breastfeed, from my own education and because my mom breastfed all of us, and Eric's support, it would have been even more difficult to continue through the pain and sleeplessness.

When Elias was having difficulty learning to breastfeed those first 3 days, Eric never suggested formula, but rather he was the one who suggested lying down on the bed with Elias near my breast, so that Elias could take the nipple on his own. It worked! He nursed for 45 minutes, and I had blistered nipples, but the baby and the breast did meet.

I guess the question for those promoting lactation is: how to get spouses on board? And how to get the whole community on board?

Most aboriginal women I know in Whitehorse formula feed, and here in Nicaragua there is a lot of formula feeding too. Along with a lot of ceasareans, which is probably linked. When people have money they buy formula and disposable diapers. What is up with that? I don't know enough yet to understand.