Wednesday, March 17, 2010

BUSY

Hey, bloggy friends!! I'm sorry I've been negligent of my blog this week--hopefully you haven't given up on me altogether! :) I have a PUH-ILE of homework to get to, but I just wanted to quickly bullet post because I just feel like I miss you all....

-we went to Victoria last week for four days to stay with my cousin Sara and her husband Leigh and their two kids--their youngest is Ryen, the baby you were all praying for last fall with the lump on his neck. In the end, that lump was removed surgically and was determined not to be cancer, but rather the result of an infection. What the infection was, was never discovered despite repeated testing. A medical mystery. I wonder if he'll make it to TLC's Medical Mysteries???
We had a blast. It was a zoo. I saw my sister also. I want to move to VICTORIA! It is the best city EVER!

-We bought a mini van, as indicated in my last post. It is white, boring, conventional, and very practical. It is a Dodge Grand Caravan with stow and go seats and a good 14 inches of trunk space, 60/40 bench seat in the back (we lay down the forty for Simon's bed, left the sixty for Ayden's booster and paraphernalia, and still had enough trunk space for luggage for five people), and the usual air conditioning/keyless entry/power everything. Unfortunately, no privacy glass between the front and rear, with soundproofing. When someone figures THAT one out, mini vans will be a HOT COMMODITY for all who have kids. Trust me.

-my third doula client had her baby this week. Via cesarean. Baby is teensy, and adorable, and eats well with very little fuss. Her mom is recovering with no complications, and is remarkably patient, calm, and persistent in learning the breastfeeding dance and teaching her baby to latch well. I'm quite proud of both of them, and excited for their family!!! Their baby is SO CUTE! I crocheted her a little pig, but forgot to take a picture before I gave it to her. If I remember, I'll bring my camera the next time I visit and I'll record the little piggy to share with you. You know, whenever I get my other computer back and can finally upload photos again.
On the flip side this situation has unrooted some really deep emotions in me. The situation is so similar to Ayden's birth that it is really hard for me to watch without feeling some profoundly negative stuff. Which is interesting, because I don't consider my cesarean to have been traumatic or negative for me. I think it is more that although I don't feel negatively in general, if I were in the same situation in the future I would SOOOO do things differently. And I wish I had had a doula back then to encourage me in a more physiological direction. Well, my mom tried but I was having NONE of her advice--not because I thought it was poor advice, but because I couldn't handle it. Anyways, interesting.

-I walked 6.75 Km today, AND did an hour of boot camp. Why do I still have a jiggly stomach? Seriously, with all this activity I should be friggin skinny.

-I did a clinical observation day at RCH NICU on Monday. I have a bajillion things I want to say about THAT experience, but I'll have to save that for later because I don't have a bajillion minutes right now.

-I made the most fantastic supper tonight. Like, seriously. Oh, I'm so good. And I made it all up out of my head:

Salmon fillets topped with a small amount of butter, soft white goat cheese slices, chopped green onion, lemon slices, white onion rings (chunky) and red peppers (chunky), wrapped in tinfoil and baked at 375 for about 35 minutes. Um, yes, I DID make up this recipe and it WAS the best fish I have ever eaten. In my entire life. Ayden and Riley liked it, too--Ayden had seconds! Matthew likes nothing that is actually FOOD, so no surprises, he didn't like it. But he didn't DETEST it and he ate it with some prodding. That is success in my books. Brent missed out because he went out for St Paddy's Day beers with his watch after work tonight.

To go with the salmon I made the most ama-HAzing salad ever. Diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, snow peas, red onion, diced red pepper, green grapes, onions, and cheddar cheese (diced, again), cooked brown rice, cooled and then tossed with the vegetables in a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, turmeric, and paprika, and salt and pepper.

NOT ONLY was the fish amazing, and NOT ONLY was the salad amazing, but they were accidentally the most AMAZING pair of recipes together--the curry in the salad was just the perfect compliment to the fish-cheese-onion combination. I almost died of deliciousness. If heaven doesn't have food, I'm going to protest. Bigtime.

And that is all. I love you all. I will write more soon.

xo

4 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

Okay, I have no idea what to say because your post had way too many things to comment on! Glad you had a good time. Now I'm hungry.

Louise Chapman said...

AND, every time I hear about someone having a natural delivery, I think about how I should've just tried a bit longer....so, I just need to move somewhere where no one has babies.

Matt and Colleen said...

Great post. I love your blog. :)

The salmon sounds so delicious, I am just discovering that I like goat cheese.

My first c-section I feel a little sad because I was on so much meds that I don't remember True's first day. It was so chaotic and out of control.

The second c-section was amazing. I felt in control (I wanted to have a v-back but they were worried that the scar was tearing,the head of the ob/gyn department talked to me and gave me the options) we decided to do the c-section. I remember everything, they gave Zoey to me immediately, I nursed her within a half an hour, I had no pain.

Fabulous!

Rachel Clear said...

THere you are!