Friday, March 26, 2010

The Van

Brent fixed the internet on our photo computer, so you get PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!! Hurrah! Next few posts I will have to pepper you with pictures to make up for the months' long dry text post trend...

First, here is our new van:




So dorky, I know. But I think I'm actually pretty sold on the Grand Caravan--it may be dorky but it sure is practical! The older boys can do up and undo their own seatbelts, no one FIGHTS anymore because they have so much space between them, and the rear seat has a 60/40 split with stow and go seats, so we flip down the 40 and put the dog's bed there, and there is still room behind the 60 for luggage for five people. Seriously! The trunk in the GC is two feet larger than the trunk in a normal van.
David Suzuki says that to make an environmentally friendly vehicle choice, to drive a vehicle that is appropriate for the size of your family. The GC is certainly no Matrix when it comes to fuel efficiency, but it is definitely appropriate for the current size of our family. We rarely drive it empty, and almost never drive it to work unless we're both working and one of us needs to pick up the kids at grandma's. That's rare. Once every three or four months? So, just around town with the kids, and road trips. We have a nice, small, reliable, 1996 standard Toyota Corolla for commuting. It is very fuel efficient.

So, that's the van! I love it and I disdain it at the same time. People can stereotype me now, as a run of the mill middle class mom with kids. BOring. I guess I just have to buy some purple hats or something to shake things up a bit! And who cares what other people think anyways, right?

:)

Anyone want to buy a Matrix? It's for sale!!

8 comments:

Deb said...

how much?

Writers of Kosciusko County Jail said...

I have a great idea. What if you painted your van wild and crazy colors? Maybe even let the kids get in on the action? Then it wouldn't be boring!

XO. I'm glad you have a good car for your fam.

Writers of Kosciusko County Jail said...

Shoot--I keep not realizing that I'm signed in as "Writers..." instead of as "Tamie." Woops.

Asheya said...

There's a sci-fi book from the late 80's early 90's where mini vans are referred to as 'bimbo boxes.' Ha ha. I love my minivan, and yes, it is cooler because it is a Toyota. I personally find no shame in being a mom with three kids who needs the space a minivan offers so we all don't go insane.

Louise Chapman said...

Mini vans are awesome.

Dana said...

I have had my van for four years and I still love it just as much as the day I bought it. I thank God for it almost every day. Seriously.

Don't dis the minivan.

Tonya said...

Ahhh, the days of the minivan. I miss those days. You cannot imagine the enormous vehicle I drive now - I even named it "the beast". If you think a minivan is dorky and embarrassing, imagine yourself in a 12 passenger, white van.

Interesting note on what is considered environmentally friendly. I definitely drive less with the 12 passenger - hate it, hate to park it. I will wait until Eric comes home so I can drive the minivan. It's our small car. Sigh.

Deb said...

We've been thinking about upgrading - we need more trunk space if nothing else - one stroller in ours fills the whole thing, but our budget is probably in the 5-6 range...