Thursday, May 20, 2010

More FOOD

Last night I was the amazing kitchen goddess!!! I made this:



Main Dish: Spanikopita
Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic
1 onion
10 oz fresh spinach
4 tbsp butter, melted
phyllo pastry (thaw before using)
2 eggs
pinch nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 cup feta cheese (or soft goat cheese)
1 tbsp grated parmesean
salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil in a pan, add onion and garlic, cook 5-6 mins until soft. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until leaves wilted. Let cool.
Beat egg with nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheeses and spinach mix.
Lay out one layer of phyllo pastry in a 9x9 dish or a large loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Add another layer of phyllo, brush with butter. Add another layer and so on until several layers thick; leaving phyllo edges to overlap the edge of the dish/loaf pan. Put spinach and egg mixture in centre and smooth out, and tuck overlapping pastry over the top of the mixture one layer at a time, brushing with melted butter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

YUMMY.
Tends to be on the salty side; be sparing with the butter or use unsalted butter if you don't like salty.

Then we had greek salad, quinoa, grainy bread, and homemade tzatziki:
some plain yogurt
some extra virgin olive oil
minced garlic
lemon juice
grated cucumber
balanced as per your preferred taste

WOWWWWWWWEEEEEE DO I LOVE FOOD!!!!!!!

2 comments:

ms emili louann said...

holy. moley. sounds delish!

Melodie said...

Yummy! I have never made spanakopita before. I've heard it's pretty easy but I've just never worked with philo pastry before. I will have to give it a try now that I have a recipe. Thanks for linking with me today Melissa!