Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rejection Letter

So the UBC School of Midwifery sent me a rejection letter. In it, they said "Your accomplishments in academic and service roles are impressive," but "We regret to inform you that you have not been selected for a place in the program."

They indicated that they had 'almost 100' applicants this year. This makes me a bit apprehensive about my chances for next year, although they encouraged me to reapply. Out of less than 100 applicants, they interviewed 32. Out of that 32, they chose 10. If I wasn't even in the top 32 out of less than 100??!! What are my chances? Jeepers. And based on the letter and conjecture, I did well in academic standing and work experience, but where was I lacking? It would be nice to know if it's something I can improve upon for my application for next year, like more Doula work or more volunteer experience. If it is higher academic standing, I can't fix that between now and November, but I can work on alternate plans.

I was prepared to hit the ground running in September if I got in, but now I feel a bit foolish for thinking I had a good chance, since I was somewhere in the bottom 68 or less. The thing is, there just aren't that many options out here for midwife training. I could go to Seattle Midwifery School, or distance ed through the New Mexico school of midwifery, or move to Ontario. Without my husband, who is committed to Surrey for another 2.5 years.

However, hitting the ground running while wanting another baby [but p.s. I'm not pregnant, thank you very much Rachel] and not knowing how we will be able to afford a bigger house on *less* income than before was a bit stressful, so I am somewhat relieved. I think the better scenario would have been if I had gotten an interview but not gotten a spot: then I would feel I at least had a good chance, you know? Like I was a good candidate in their eyes. I'm a good candidate in my own eyes, but apparently not so in theirs. And so I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. I was going to attend the UBC Normal Birth Conference here in Vancouver in June, but now I feel a bit disheartened. It's actually probably a very good idea to go and have that to put on my application, but it's $500 towards a profession I haven't got much hope of joining???? I know that's not entirely accurate, but that's kind of how I feel at the moment. So that's the final word.

8 comments:

Asheya said...

Ouch, the rejection letter hurts. I'm sorry you didn't get an interview :(

Could you ask someone what you can improve?

Please still go to the normal birth conference! I know it's expensive, but you know you'll love it, it will probably be useful for your doula work, and definitely good for Mothers of Change. I'm only going to the first day because of time constraints...and if you go on the last day you get to be part of an ongoing group that tries to figure out how to make maternity care better!

Louise Chapman said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the interview. My friend did her midwifery through New Mexico, let me know if you want her contact info to ask her about it!

Writers of Kosciusko County Jail said...

Aw babe, I'm so sorry. Rejection letters are harder than you think they'll be ahead of time. So sorry!

I would encourage you to call them and see if you can talk to someone who can be specific about where you can improve. The sooner the better on that phone call because your application may still be fresh in someone's mind, you know? Honestly, it also might not be a case of improving so much as that they had so very few slots, and they were looking for a particular combination of people, etc.

Don't give up on the dream, Mel. You would be such an unbelievably great midwife. It may be a more circuitous route than you were expecting, but I hope you don't give up on it. Unless, upon reflection, you feel that your passions are best used elsewhere. But if I were going to have a baby, I'd certainly choose you for my midwife.

XOXO. Don't lose heart! We love you and believe in you!!!

Dana said...

I am sorry you weren't accepted for this fall :(. No matter how ambivilent you felt about the timing, who likes to get a letter like that. I know it doesn't mean you don't have what it takes, because I know for sure that you will be an amazing midwife. God has great plans for you and this letter is part of it. *hugs*

ms emili louann said...

dude, i'm sorry :(

*hugs*

Sylvia H. said...

Dear Mel, just wanted to give you a hug! xoxoxoxox plus kisses. I know it's discouraging to receive such a letter...just wanted to let you know that I have been applied for so many years to get in to grad school and I waited until I was 36 (I am 37 now) to get an admission and I really think that school is hard and I really want a break already... :P. Anyway, be 100% sure that God knows your path and He lays out the best plan for you. If not this year, than it's simply not the best year to start. Wait patiently and do not give up. I'll pray for you too. Love & hugs & kisses, Sylvia in Alabama

Jen said...

Bahh! I know that's disappointing but dude, timing is everything and you will make an effing awesome midwife. Don't give up on that. If they were only able to take 10% of the applicants, you can bet there are other very qualified applicants that got turned down. So... timing timing timing. I wanted to go to midwifery school in 2003 but couldn't. I had no idea I was interested in childbirth work until I was well into my nutrition career. So I slipped that little dream aside only to have the opportunity jump in front of me out of the blue. Who knows what will happen but you are made for birth work - however and whenever it works out and in whatever capacity. You continually inspire me with all that you already know and are doing. You rock, Mel!

Roboseyo said...

*hug.*
hang in there, mel. we love you!