Friday, June 4, 2010

Where did all the commenters go?

I know you must be out there, and I know I petered out there for a bit, posting less often which is less interesting for you wonderful readers, so I'm sorry! I'm trying to get back on the ball, and I think now that my course is done I'll be more faithful!
=)
But only ONE comment on that photo post with my cute kids at the tulip festival? Are you DEAD? Or maybe just blind. Hm....

I'm joking. But I'm a slut for comments.


I just made my first ever batch of rice crispie squares! This was a stretch because (a) it's baking, and (b) marshmallows break one of my cardinal food rules, which I developed after reading this book "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto," which my sister recommended to me. (I'm going to do a book review post on this book, I promise! You must read it!)

That cardinal rule is: Eat Food. Marshmallows are not food, they are processed petroleum product with sugar added. But I partially redeemed them in my mind by using puffed whole wheat instead of rice crispies, adding ground flax, and two huge scoops of all natural peanut butter. The peanut butter was a suggestion of my friend and OMYGOODNESSPEOPLE! IT IS SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!!!!!

melt 1 Tbsp butter in pot on stove
Add one package of marshmallows and melt
Add 2 ice cream scoops of peanut butter
Add 2 Tbsp flax meal
Mix well, remove from heat, and add 6 cups of puffed whole wheat, or brown puffed rice
(optional: add chocolate chips at very end)

Put in rectangular dish coated with cooking spray. The best way I found to smooth them out is to wet your fingers and use your hands.
Let cool.
Oh my goodness don't share them with the CHILDREN!

=)

Delish.

6 comments:

sara said...

Just a clarification detail: rice crispy squares are not baking, they do not go in the oven.

ms emili louann said...

nummy

Dana said...

I'm not blind, so I must be dead ;)

your kids are awesomely cute, I love tulips, I'm still reading but haven't been putting out, sorry...

If you like In Defense of Food, you will love Omnivore's Dilemma. I liked it way better than IDoF.

jenna said...

I'm still here. Not dead, slightly blind.

Writers of Kosciusko County Jail said...

I think there is some way of making natural marshmallows, but I'm not sure how.

And sorry about the lack of comments lately....I've sort of been, I don't know, out of the blog loop. But I want back in!

amy frances said...

One of my favorite books. Excellent.

And I've had natural marshmallows before. They were made from malitol (a sugar alcohol), and man were they tasty. They still broke the rules though. More than 5 ingredients.