Friday, August 6, 2010

10 weeks a few days ago


This pregnancy is going by at warp speed. I don't have time to look up what is happening in my body, and with my baby, or do weekly posts like last time. The first quarter of my pregnancy is finished! Surprisingly, I don't feel anxious over the passage of time, which has long been a particular stone in my shoe. You know how numerous people tell you when you are pregnant or your kids are small, "Enjoy it! It goes by so fast!?" I took that and internalized it too much. I constantly worried about the brevity of childhood, and whether I would miss or forget something, and experience irreparable loss. Fear of great loss has followed me since my childhood. I think we all feel grief over how quickly our babies become toddlers, children, and adults, but at the same time we GAIN SO MUCH! I'm coming to terms with this, and experiencing joy in the journey as I discover how wonderful it is to live in the moment, cherish it, and then let it pass. Because the next moment, though I lose what was before, is so rich. Ayden reads and talks intelligently and has opinions that are fascinating. He's smart, he's very artistic, he takes tasks and learning very seriously, and he reads voraciously. Matthew is charismatic, bubbly, positive, fears NOTHING, is game for ANYTHING, masters physical tasks very rapidly, is learning to read and write, engineers lego like nobody's business, and loves with abandonment. Riley is contemplative, gentlehearted, independent (mine, mine, mine is his favorite word), sweet, starting to put two words together fairly consistently, could kick a ball before he could walk (seriously: we would hold him up to a ball and he would kick it purposefully), and tries fiercely to keep up with his brothers.
These are characteristics which have grown over time, and which I wouldn't have the joy of experiencing if they all stayed babies forever. Plus, I grow with them. I get better at the mulit tasking, the interminable amount of required patience, the repetition, ignoring the noise, and growing and lavishing the love. Who I am now is so much more peaceful and capable than who I was in the beginning of this parenting thing. So. Though it's sad how fast it goes, I'm finally at peace with it all.

Here's a picture of Rice Cake for now (whom I always refer to as a boy, but usually think about as a girl, without conscious forethought).




  • The most critical part of your infant's development is complete. Now you are headed into a period of rapid growth.
  • While a bit strange to envision, your baby'shead is now about half its length - Soon the rest of the body's growth will catch up but this area is prepared to keep up with the rapid brain development!
  • Eyelids fuse shut and irises begin to develop - Eye color is also determined by this point.
  • Placenta begins to function this week or next - The placenta is the organ responsible for both the provision of nutrients along with the removal of waste to keep your baby growing strong!
  • Your baby will be about 1.22 inch long (3.1cm) and weigh 0.14 ounce (4gm) at the end of this week

4 comments:

Lou and Marilyn Sawchenko said...

I love your perspectives on this topic, Melissa! Sage advice for grandparenting, too, i think.

ms emili louann said...

awww, your little babe :D

do you have any motherly "feelings" as to whether it's a boy or girl?

amy frances said...

I don't know if you still need to hear this, but it's still true: yet more evidence of your amazing-mom status. You are the Yoda of moms. The Guinan of moms. Truly, the Papa Smurf of moms. You rock.

xo

melissa said...

Oh, Amy. You've no idea how much I still need to hear it. Thank you! I like the Papa smurf one :D

Every day is a battle in my head that rates me pretty low in the parenting scales.

You're the best.


I have motherly feelings it's a girl. But I did with Ayden and Riley, too. I better resign myself to a houseful of boys, ladies....