Sunday, September 19, 2010

Itchy, itchy....

Every day it gets worse. Awesome! Your nausea's almost gone? Have some ITCHY! I'm not the most gracious pregnant woman, am I? You know how sometimes you hear about or see on t.v. these women for whom pregnancy is so wonderful, and they don't have any complaints?
BITCHES!
I'm joking, I'm happy for them. But honestly! I think what kills me is that they look so smug. They should look humble and grateful, but they always seem to have an air of superiority. Like women who emphatically deny the existence of PMS, or baby brain. Just because you don't have it, sister, doesn't mean it's universal and the rest of us are wimps.
I will admit to being whiny, though.
=)
Friday I overdid it a lot. Brent was working, I got out of bed and got everyone ready, but had to lie down on the kitchen floor numerous times while making breakfast because I felt so sick and thought I might faint, which I KNEW was a need to eat, but everything I put in my mouth made me gag. It's so nice forcing food down your throat DURING reverse peristalsis. I walked the older boys to school, walked to boot camp in the rain, worked out with a cranky toddler in my arms, walked home, did housework, walked back to the school to pick up the older boys, and then (in my infinite wisdom) made an enormous batch of perogies from scratch. That takes hours. About halfway through the perogies I thought, "I think boot camp and perogies on the same day was a little too ambitious." But I was committed by then. Nothing else started for dinner, and already 5 pm, and elbow deep in perogies! I fell asleep in front of the t.v. after the kids went to bed. (This is very unusual. I have insomnia, so falling asleep on the couch is unheard of).
Oh yes, and during boot camp I got stun by a bee on my finger. My dad is anaphylactic allergic to bees, and I don't have anaphylactic reactions but I think I inherited some sort of sensitivity because when I get stung, I swell up like crazy. Not my whole body, just the area where I was stung. So my finger is three times its normal size right now, and is kind of whitish looking from lack of circulation. GROSS. The knuckle is pretty bulbous. DOUBLE GROSS. But the worst part isn't that it's puffy and gross, but rather that it ITCHES LIKE HELL! Of course I can't take Benadryl because of the baby (though I would to save my life: just not to relieve an itchy hand).
Louise mentioned taking steroids for a severe pregnancy itch and I'd be totally down with that if it gets any worse and other treatments don't work--I'm not into martyrdom!! In the meantime I'm taking lots of Vitamin C, which is a natural anti inflammatory, and trying to stay moisturized. It seems to help keep things under control, though now my armpits are involved. And my butt. So ladylike.

To make up for Friday's overdo, today I stayed in my pyjamas all day. I read for about 6 hours today. For four hours of that, my kids watched cartoons and ate cereal from the box, and for the other 2 hours their dad fed them lunch and they played lego. I started my day at 4:30 when I mustered up the energy to make dinner! =) That was a very nice slow Saturday, and I don't even feel (overly) guilty about all that television rotting my kids' brains.

Speaking of television; anyone else watching SYTYCD Canada and want to puke? It's time for cheerleader chloe to go home. Canada has no bloody idea what it's doing voting those three couples into the bottom three, and Candace did NOT deserve to go home this week. And what is uuuup with BLAKE??? Every time he appears on the screen I roll my eyes and want to vomit. It drives me nuts that the other judges fawn all over him, but I know it's political. The man is a four year old in an adult body, with some pretty frickin' cheesy tattoos.

Speaking of tattoos--at work the other day a grateful patient gave me his card and said, "I'm a tattoo artist, if you ever want to be inked, call me up and I'll give you free ink as a thank you for taking such good care of me."
SWEET!! I'm saving that card! Awesome! (I have a tattoo planned, for when I'm done with all this pregnancy and lactation, and I'm super excited about it. Maybe don't tell my mom).
And that *almost* makes up for the man who called me a cunt and a whore who doesn't give a shit about him, earlier that same shift. While exposing my baby to second hand smoke. You win some, you lose some.

Thanks for all the sympathy with the itching ♥
you guys are awesome. I LOVE the www.itchymoms.com site!!!

***P.S. JUST TO CLARIFY, I DON'T YET HAVE CHOLESTASIS [ICP]--JUST ITCHY! BUT THE SITE IS INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE, AND I'M PRETTY SURE I'LL BE SENT FOR BLOOD TESTS TO RULE OUT ICP, LARGELY BECAUSE ANY ITCH IS GENERALLY INVESTIGATED, AND BECAUSE MY MOM HAD IT. I'M FAIRLY SURE I JUST HAVE NORMAL PREGNANCY ITCHING, OR PUPPP***

3 comments:

Doulanic said...

oh no! Do you actually have ICP?? That's a NASTY problem.... my sister had it with her last pregnancy and 2 years later she's not over the effects of it either!

lori said...

I like your new blog name - - it's fitting, since white is the combination of all colors (right?), and you cover lots of subjects on your blog...

Dana said...

I'm so sorry about your itchy. I hope you find relief soon!

I loved hearing about your Friday and Saturday. What wonderful juxtaposition. Supermom on Friday... seriously, boot camp then homemade perogies... pregnant with three kids? And then, flip to next day and your kids are (a) eating cereal, (b) eating it out of the box, and (c) watching hours of uninterrupted television. LOVE IT! I am so inspired by your Friday, and so relieved by your Saturday. Other moms who try really hard also sometimes let their kids rot their brains. Thanks for sharing that.