Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sick as a dog

Where did the saying come from, sick as a dog? Are dogs generally sicker than other species? When my dog throws up, he eats it. That's gross. You might even describe it as SICK, but as a vernacular, not a cliche.
Whatever its origin, I'm sick as a dog. Last night was horrific. Everyone is sick but Brent; Riley and Matthew were coughing all night, Riley was in my bed at 1 a.m. and up and down all night. But the worst was poor Ayden, he had an earache, threw up, and had fever so bad his teeth were chattering. Poor kid, but he got inadequate care because I'm sick too, and Brent was at work. I've not yet had that situation in three years of a shift working husband, where the kids are up all night and I'm sick and running SOLO.
A friend mom at school when I dropped Matthew off this morning (in my pyjamas) asked me how I am feeling and I said, "Like a warm bag of crap."
This is one of those viruses that comes, leaves, and comes back with a vengeance. I need to crawl into bed and stay there for a few days, but there are some people who also need mothering around here so I can't. I made an appointment with our doctor for Ayden this afternoon, though I don't know how I'm going to survive going there. I might send Brent. I have a midwife appointment around the same time so I guess I better send him! Oh God, I might die before the day is out. If I do, know that I love you all.
xo
=P

5 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

Oh my goodness, I really, really hope we didn't give that virus to you all!! WE did not have fevers or vomiting...just the exhausting cold that sucks all your energy and makes you cough all night (probably what Riley has). HOpefully Brent has a day off tomorrow (or can take a sick day?) so you can lay in bed and rest up?!!

SANDRA said...

I think they say “sick as a dog” because dogs eat just about anything they find and they often get sick from it. My parents dog also eats her vomit and everything the cats throws up or brings to the house. Yikes! I say that I feel like a stranded whale when I’m not feeling well =D

I hope you guys get better fast! <3

tamie said...

Oh poor Mel! I want to come help and mother your kiddos so you can get well! I'm so very sorry you're sick. Can you call in some reinforcements or something?

Dana said...

Oh BRUTAL!!!!!!!

Much empathy from here in the Prairies. Get well soon, all of you.

Rachel Clear said...

You are amazing, woman.