Sunday, January 30, 2011

Good Article on Breastfeeding in Church

My old church was a breastfeeding friendly place, largely (ironically) because I made it so. We were part of a church plant and I was the first (by three weeks) to give birth, and just breastfed in church. No one really batted an eye as far as I ever heard, and the many moms who gave birth after me followed my lead.

Enter: new church. Nobody breastfeeds inside this church. NOBODY. Except me; I nursed Riley in church for the first 4 or 5 months we attended, he was around 18 months old, and wasn't keen on the nursery yet.
Now, this baby who is yet to come will be a different type of breastfeeder than an 18 month old. Sure, nobody sees nursing toddlers in church but he was quiet, quick, and nursed maybe once per sermon. Newborns are loud, long, frequent breastfeeders. I think I'm about to shock the pants off our new church, in a few short weeks or so....

At any rate, here's a beautiful post on the subject by Peaceful Parenting. I especially like the art!

2 comments:

nancy said...

love this peaceful parenting post!

Tonya said...

I have never cared what people think about my breastfeeding in church. I try to be discreet and not show my whole boob, but seriously. The baby needs to eat. If you don't like it, you go into another room, skip church, just so you can have a drink of water.