Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Grated Potatoes, and Other Oddities

I know that in general I'm an oddity. I mean, I say words like perineum and cervix and areola on the internet and my blog is not even private. Who does this? It's like being a reproductive cyber stripper: exhibitionist on all things birth and breastfeeding! Read my descriptions of the above in great detail! SO FUN!
But heck, y'all keep coming back. Why stop now?

So, I developed another breast abscess. So delish. This one was more of a montgomery tubercle (those tiny bumps in the areola) that started to grow a bit out of control a few weeks ago, and then got blocked and kind of infected but only a little, but it is very close to the nipple so both Amarys and Riley overlap it when they breastfeed. Yesterday when I woke up it HURT, so I called my midwife. She suggested I grate a potato, wrap it in gauze, and put it on the abscess. I figured, why not. I'll give it a shot, it's better than torturous aspiration with a sharp needle, which is what the allopathic treatment is. Guess what? IT WORKED! Within 2 hours, the abscess was gone. I'm not kidding! I still have a bump, a larger than average tubercle, but the infection is gone and the bump is 1/5th the size it was yesterday.
Potato. Who knew? Now you do.

Amarys is a sleep angel. Only she needs a heavenly memo telling her to fall asleep around 11 pm or midnight, instead of anywhere from 2:30 a.m. to 5:00. Once she falls asleep, she stays that way for 8 to 10 hours. Yes, I said eight to ten hours. Holy crap! I've heard of babies like this, but they're so rare they are legends. But I've got one. An oddity. Half the time she does actually fall asleep around midnight so I shouldn't complain, except the other half the time SHE DOESN'T. Plus even when she sleeps eight hours Riley toddles into our bedroom at around 4:00 a.m. all bleary eyed and "Me want milk," waking me several times between four and when he gets up for the day. So it's not like I have eight to ten hours of uninterrupted sleep! Because that would be RIDICULOUS!

=)

How ironic. I have a sleeps through the night three week old infant, and I can't enjoy it. Well, I could if I got tough on Riley but I don't care nearly enough to do that. Sure, he's old enough to go through the night without nursing, but I wouldn't trade a sleep for those cuddles with my older baby. Not a chance. Besides, when he wakes up in the morning he pats his sister so sweetly. Sometimes when she is close while he is nursing, he holds her hand. I can't quite manage to breastfeed both of them simultaneously yet, but when I do I'm sure it will be cute.


We have had a ton of fun lately; I took all four kids to the park by myself one evening while Brent made dinner. Our new house is around the corner from a park, perfect for a 45 minute jailbreak before supper, especially in the spring sunshine!
The next day we made cinnamon buns together as a family, which is a several hour project with lots of steps (I had never made cinnamon buns before so it took even longer than it probably should have), which is perfect for a kid involved project. It was fun and the end product was SO delicious.
The next day was sunny and warm: that was randomly half dressed boys on the trampoline day. Very fun.
We went to Campbell Valley Park for a mini hike yesterday in the sunshine and had a great time! There are lots of trails and several main entrances so we don't always go on the same hike, but this particular spot was where Brent and I had our first date just over ten years ago. It's pretty cool to go back with four kids in tow and ten years' worth of memories, and it gives me goosebumps to think of us on that date with no idea what is coming in the future (the very near future, AYDEN), nor the weight of what's riding on the success of that date! And these kids, they run around with the sun shining on them through the trees, and splashing in the creek, chattering endlessly and totally wrapped up in their small worlds and big emotions, with no idea how meaningful this geography is in the history of their lives.
Amarys decided 3/4 of the way through the hike that she was decidedly DONE, so some of the hike wasn't so magically sunshine through the trees. Wailing baby in the woods isn't so romantic. And I tell you, this baby is LOUD. Anyone who has been to visit us can attest that she is equipped with a Set Of Lungs, which will do her well considering her position in a family of all boys. She makes my ears ring. I think we scared all the fauna, and perhaps all the people out enjoying the park and minding their own business on a nice spring weekday.
In some ways, she's so like her daddy. And in other ways, she takes after moi.

It's just so cool, having four. Having another itty bitty one around. Having a girl. Being married to this particular person. Tripping over these particular Tazmanian devil boys. Laughing at their particular jokes.
Whew, so blessed. Sleep or no sleep!

5 comments:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

"reproductive cyber stripper."

LAUGHING MY BUTT OFF...

Tonya said...

I love this post. You sound so completely contented with life at this moment. Isn't that the BEST feeling ever!!!

melissa said...

YES! Blissful...

Louise Chapman said...

I can so picture you all at Campbell Valley Park together:) Neato about the potatoes.

Jen said...

This post gave me so many warm fuzzies! What a great attitude you have! I'm amazed by this.

And, You are a SUPERMOM!

And super cool about the grated potatoes! I didn't know about that.