Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Little Indulgence


I'm not a royal watcher.
I don't follow the latest shenanegans in the U.K, and I could give a crap who marries who and what their lineage is.

But last night (fortunately, as it turns out) I fell asleep at 9 when I went to put Amarys to sleep. She woke up at 4 a.m. this morning, freaking out and pooping, keeping her dad up when he should be sleeping in for his night shift tonight. So after an hour and a half of trying to settle her back down I brought her to the living room and turned on the t.v. Precious little is on at 530 a.m. so I wound up watching Charles and Diana's wedding from 1981. Indulge me a little here.

Whew, that was a hoopla of a wedding, wasn't it? Big fanfare. Gigantic dress! Tons of sparkly diamonds and some pretty insane hats. TLC does these pop up trivia things when they show events from the past, and the trivia is pretty hysterical. Much of it is neutral, interesting information regarding princes and princesses, how old the pageboys were and how old they are now, but some of it is a bit snide; "Prince Andrew is the only one of the Queen's children not to get divorced," or "Camilla Bowles is in the audience." It's pretty hilarious to watch with the pop ups. And infuriating to watch stuffy Prince Charles act out a charade, stupid prat.

I can't handle Prince Charles. I think he's an idiot and I hold him partially responsible for Diana's death, since she wouldn't have been where she was if he would have either (a) not married her in a charade in the first place, or (b) stepped up and given himself to his family instead of Camilla.
Maybe that's a bit harsh.
By all reports he was a decent dad. So there's that.

Then I watched Kate and William's wedding, because it was on after the Diana and Charles fiasco. The fame surrounding them is a bit weird. I'm glad they seem happy, and it is historically interesting to watch a wedding like that, in places I've read about but never seen (Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, for example), and to speculate on what family life is like for royalty. At the end of they day, everyone poops, we all give birth the same, and we all need the same things growing up. Love and security, attentiveness, and opportunities to play and grow.





Ah, royalty. So much fuss, over nothing but status, hey?
And now I should go, because someone has put a blanket over my baby's face. I wonder how long she's been sitting there like that? Being number four has its ups and its downs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was fun to watch and I sat wondering all the same things! On being #4, its so funny how mine doesn't even mind being sat on,kissed endlessly or covered in blankets. He still just smiles at anyone who will talk to him :)

Marie
(who finally isn't NAK and can comment for a change)