Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Baby Who Wouldn't

Amarys has decided it's time I paid the price for a newborn who sleeps twelve hours at night.  Just a few days shy of four months old, suddenly nighttime is party time.

Three nights ago, she went to sleep at 9 pm as usual.  She woke up at 10, 12, 2, 4, and 6.  She wanted to nurse, and then she wanted to talk.  She's a talker.  All day,

Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba BWA bwa da da da da da da phhhhhhhhhttttttt wub wub wub wub OOOOO


So cute.
At night?  Not so much.  She's loud, too.
I'm aware that this waking pattern is normal for babies, but it is NOT necessarily normal for them to wake, nurse, and PLAY.  And it is by no means normal for HER.
It was a heinous night, but it was just one night so I didn't think much of it.  I got up with her at six and left the bedroom because Brent had JUST fallen asleep after working all night and I didn't want to keep him up.  I strapped her to her fancy bouncy chair with some toys, parked her next to my head, and lay down on the couch to half one eyed snooze supervise.  All parents are familiar with that one.

She fell asleep on my chest at some point, and I fell asleep too.  Matthew woke us up eventually.  Brent woke up to my alarm at 7:30 and saw I wasn't in bed, assumed I was up, and turned it off.  I woke up and thought, jeepers, my alarm didn't even go off yet it's early!
Oops.  It was 8:32 and the kids' school starts at 8:42.
That was a hectic ten minutes!  They were a bit late.

Then last night Amarys fell asleep at her normal time and everything was great, I went to bed at 12:30 and scooted her over in bed and fell fast asleep beside her.  Not knowing what she had in store for me....

At 3:00 she woke up (remember?  She usually sleeps the whole night long no matter what or where we are or what's going on around her) so I nursed her and then she started her talking

BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BWA BWA BWA BWA DA DA DA DA DA DA
PHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!


For.  An.  Hour.  And.  A.  Half.

She would take a soother for about two seconds and then POOT, spit it out on the bed and start up her opera warmup routine.
Just as she was winding down and I was about to fall asleep again, Riley came banging into our room

Meeee want miiiiiilk!!!!


I started to cry.  Very loud, very juvenile, very frazzly mom.  Brent woke up and SOMEHOW convinced Riley to fall alseep again without milkies, and we all fell back asleep.  For two hours.
[eternal gratitude towards husband]

Wow, what a weird blip, two nights in a row!

.....Anyone wondering why I'm blogging at 2:00 in the morning this THIRD NIGHT?
Yeah, BWA BWA BWA BWA BWA NING NING AH, WAH WA MA ME MA NA NNNN MA MA MA MA DA DA DA DA DA BA BA BA BA


OMG OMG OMG OMG.....



I actually know what it is that's causing it, and I should know better.  It's just that life without milk is so freaking hard for me.  I had a handful of cheesies on Sunday at our church young families BBQ, I had two slices of my famous chocolate pie when we had friends over for dinner last night, and tonights supper had cream of mushroom soup in it.  I do it to myself.  When she's talking, she's complaining about her sore guts.  Which doesn't make me less tired!  But it does give me hope for tomorrow....

1 comment:

lori said...

This kind of sleep / wake / doze / wake cycle sucks the big one. I know, sister, I know. Crying is fully allowed.