Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Funny Story

My kids are all sick.  The night before last I was awake until 5 a.m. going from kid to kid and being kept awake by Ayden coughing in my face every 5 to 10 seconds (eight year old non cobedding rules don't apply when kids are sick).  It's pretty bad when your spouse comes home from a night shift and you haven't fallen asleep yet...
And said spouse crawls into bed to catch up on sleep...
And you have to get up in two hours.

Anyways, last night was shaping up to look similar or worse.  Incessant coughing.  Children up and down.  Amarys wanting to nursenursenurse.  Ayden coughingcoughingcoughing.  Riley restless.  But we went to bed at midnight after hours of juggling kids and trying to watch one PVRd CSI.  I wasn't optimistic.

Generally Amarys wakes up sometime around 4 o'clock in the morning these days, nurses to sleep in our bed, and wakes us up in the morning by smacking and screeching and hairpulling.
I put Amarys in her bed after she had fallen asleep in my arms on the couch, and we crawled into our bed and drifted off.  About 4:30 I woke up in my usual position: curled around the baby.  Except she wasn't there.  I was mildly worried: did she work her way under my blanket?  I pulled it down a bit to uncover her head.  But her head wasn't there!  I panicked a bit, patting the blankets further down, worried she'd gotten under our blankets and then continued to wiggle down; she sleeps soundly but tends to squirm around a lot.  When I didn't find her there I totally freaked that she'd fallen off the bed or got stuck in a mattress crack somewhere and WHERE WAS MY BABY?!?!!!!  All this thrashing around looking for the baby woke Brent up and he said,
I think she's still in her bed, isn't she?
Of course she isn't!  I woke up and got her not half an hour ago!!  I nursed her back to sleep and now she's GONE!
No, I don't think you did.
What does he know?  He sleeps through EVERYTHING.
He got out of bed and went to check:  Yup, baby sleeping soundly in her own bed.

Oh my goodness.

4 comments:

nancy said...

very funny story!

melissa said...

Ahaha! I have definitely had similar moments - it's amazing what sleep deprivation can do to a person! I hope everyone is feeling a bit better and you've had a chance to start catching up on some rest.

tamie marie said...

Oh, life!

Breanne said...

I never could co sleep because I was deathly afraid of what you just described! Lol. I would wake up with sore, stiff muscles because I was so tense all night and trying hard not to move an inch so I wouldn't squish the baby! Ha ha.