Thursday, January 5, 2012

Funny Story III

We went to visit my parents between Christmas and New Year's.  They live in a farmhouse in the Okanagan, and the room we were sleeping in has a broken, water damaged window and window frame which pretty much stops the wind from blowing into the room about as effectively as a bug screen.  So I taped two pillows to the window to slow down the wind, and we moved the bed to a different wall further away from the window.

This had a funny consequence.  That night, I put Amarys to sleep on the floor because she moves so much while she is sleeping that it is not safe for her to be on the bed alone, or on the bed on the outside of me.  She has to be between us so she will have natural bumpers while she does her nighttime snow angel routine.  I put her to bed long before we go to bed, so she was safest on the floor.
One night, before we realigned the bed, she woke up with her head stuck sideways under our bed frame and I had to get Brent to lift the bed UP to get her out, so it's not a foolproof dealio, putting snow angels to bed on the floor.

Anyways, on the night we realigned things, she stayed alseep when we went to bed so I left her on the floor.  Brent got up in the middle of the night and started trying to take the full length mirror off the wall in the bedroom.  Perplexed, I asked him what he was doing?

Going to the bathroom, he replied.

Are you sleepwalking?  I asked.

No I'm going to the bathroom!!

And he continued scrabbling around with the mirror.  I thought he must be confused because we moved the bed, because the bathroom door was about six feet to his right.  So I told him and he turned around and walked towards the bed, in a direct line to step on Amarys.


DON'T STEP ON THE BABY!!!  I yelled in the whisper-ma-yell of late night guests, who happen to be alarmed.

Okay, I'm just going to the bathroom, he says, and pulls Amarys' blanket off of her.

At this point I'm pretty certain he's off his rocker.

NO DON'T PICK HER UP PLEASE DON'T PICK HER UP SHE'S SLEEPING DON'T WAKE HER!!!

Okay, he said, and picked up the baby and handed her to me.  She was a little confused, having been deeply asleep until that moment.

And then he went to the bathroom.

He remembers nothing of this incident.

4 comments:

melissa said...

Oh, dear! That's hilarious! I have never witnessed sleepwalking first-hand, but it sounds very entertaining, if a bit exhausting.

Tonya said...

HA HA HA - how drunk was the man? :-)

tamie marie said...

*awesome*

Caryn Ouwehand said...

So hillarious!

I made Dan read this, because he totally does stuff like this at night!

We both laughed out loud!