Saturday, January 28, 2012

On Teaching

My cousin Sara had some insight into working conditions and lunch hour activities for teachers in BC, and I wanted to share her comment here for everyone to see.  I had hoped she would weigh in on this topic because she is a teacher and knows more than I do about working conditions for teachers.  She teaches high school and is a committed and passionate teacher.  Good at what she does.  This is what she had to say;

I am paid for 4.5 hours of work each day (I'm a high school teacher). Each day I spend 3 hours in direct teaching, 3 more hours prepping and marking, about 30 mins meeting with students to discuss, help, etc, another 30 mins meeting with other teachers, support workers and admin to ensure that no students are falling through the cracks (we are a no kid left behind school and we take it very seriously, so this actually takes a lot of time), and then I coach, which is about 6 additional hours per week, unpaid and honestly, unappreciated. So on an average day, I work 7-9 hours (almost twice what I am paid for). I know that there are teachers who do not put this kind of commitment in, but not many. My son's grade one teacher, uses her 40 minute lunch break to wolf down some food, talk to the support workers, answer emails or calls from parents and to get ready for the afternoon. Rarely, do teachers sit down, socialize and eat. The laws around lunch breaks is almost unchanged in BC from 30 years ago, outside time was longer then for kids.

Just so everyone knows

3 comments:

SusanB said...

Wow, teachers here in Alabama get 20 minutes (some days) for lunch. Other days they have to sit with students on duty in the lunch room. Their days are 7 to 8 hours long unless they are on bus duty and then it is longer. Some get a 30 minute prep period. Most do prep work at home. Meetings with parents and students are nearly unheard of unless they take place before school hours....

literal mama said...

Thanks for sharing Lis. xo

melissa said...

I know the overworked teacher life well, and I definitely don't think it's the responsibility of the teacher to be in the classroom on her scheduled lunch breaks. I do think it's the responsibility of the school to figure a way to give teachers their breaks and still make sure children have adequate supervision. I guess schools should be glad I'm not planning to send my kids their way ;)