Friday, February 3, 2012

Vegetarian Foodie Friday; Spanikopita

Tonight I made one of my favorites.  Years ago I meshed together an appetizer recipe and some trial and error, and came up with this original Melissa Vose recipe.  Which is pretty yummy.  I call it spanikopita but I'm sure it's nothing authentic.

=)

several Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 (or more) cloves garlic, chopped
Bunch spinach, washed, stems trimmed
1/4 cup butter, melted
8-10 sheets phyllo pastry (found frozen with the pie shells at grocery store)
2 eggs
pinch nutmeg (I often leave this out because I don't like nutmeg)
1/4 cup soft goat cheese, or crumbled feta
1 Tbsp freshly grated parmesean (tonight I used some mozzerella and threw in some Kraft dried parm for taste: who has $$ for fresh grated parm?  Seriously)
salt and freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic and cook 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat, until softened.

2. Add spinach leaves and cook, stirring, until the spinach has wilted and some of the liquid has evaporated.  Let cool.

3. Brush loaf pan with melted butter, line with phyllo pastry.  Layer phyllo sheets, brushing with butter between each layer.  Who doesn't love good old fashioned butter?  Michael Pollan says cows who graze in grass meadows produce butter with vitamin D in it.  I'm not saying Island Farms has vitamin D, but I'm not saying it doesn't...


Check on status of too quiet baby.  Take photo.  Oopsies, better watch her more closely...



4. Beat egg with nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in cheeses and spinach.  Add to pan, nestled in pastry.  Fold phyllo pastry over the top and brush with melted butter.

5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.  Give me all the credit.


Nice with greek salad and rice (not pictured here)...






And oops, whose cute baby IS that anyways???


2 comments:

melissa said...

Ooh, this looks delicious! I can definitely veganize it, easy peasy. No major cooking for me till after we travel, but I want to remember to try it when we get home! Thanks for linking it :)

Jaclyn said...

Yum looks great!!!