Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Sister is a Rock Star Momma

Remember my sister when she looked like this a few weeks ago?


Well she doesn't anymore =)

I haven't had a chance to post about it until now, but last Tuesday my sister gave birth to the most amazing, cute, laid back, wonderful BABY BOY!!  His name is Oliver....


He was 7 lbs 15 oz, healthy and strong.  My sister planned a home birth, transferred for pain relief and a nagging feeling that something was 'wrong', and had an emergency cesarean for fetal distress within an hour of arriving at the hospital.  It turned out that Oliver's cord was only 15 centimeters long (!!!!).  My sister labored bravely and followed her instinct, and it led her to the exact right place at the right time for Oliver to be born healthy and happy.  I'm so proud of her!  And I've never heard of a cord that short.  Ever.  I'm sure it happens, but so rarely!  You can see his posture is curved back a bit; apparently this is from being constricted by his short cord for so many months!  It should correct now that he's untethered  =)

Isn't he delicious?  I get to meet him TOMORROW!!!  He's so perfect I can't get over him.  And guess how many baby boy clothes I have to give him?  A boatload.  Megan's going to hate me =P
SQUEEEEE!!!
There's something about your sister having a baby that is just so cool.  Just all kinds of awesome.  xxoo

4 comments:

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

That is so great! I mean, about the birth, and her instincts, and the little babe, and the name Oliver! Bennett's cord was super short too, but not THAT short. Not surprising considering my miniature placenta.

How incredible that she knew something was up and trusted herself. Goosebumps.

Tamie said...

So happy for you! Hurray, Mel & her family!

emili said...

Oh wow - that is indeed a short "tether"! Way to go, Mel's sister, for following your instincts.

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family. Blessings, blessings!

nancy said...

I'd love for Megs birth story to be recorded. Interested?