Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Perfect Day


Today. Was. AWESOME.  This was the first day of summer, of course, and also for us the first day of warm sunshine in WEEKS!  We live in the most temperate climate in Canada, which means we have mild, rainy winters and rainy springs and rainy autumns and generally bloody short, dry summers.  Today was one of the days Langleyites LIVE FOR;  SUNNY!!!!  And warm!!!!  And so after tot romp at the rec centre this morning, we packed a lunch and walked to the water park.  I figured we would have a picnic on the grass and play in the playground but lo and behold the water park was ON so we actually spent a ton of time playing in the water.  I didn't bring the kids' swimsuits because I was that sure the spray park would be off.  But I roll with the punches so the kids just got wet.  It was warm enough that nobody minded.  And Amarys fell asleep in the stroller on the way home which is BLISS, because lately her sleep fighting has morphed into the truly ridiculous and I've given up on trying to get her to nap.  She runs out of gas at around 4:30 or 5:00 pm and falls asleep some random way or place and then I wake her up 20 minutes later (otherwise she's up til midnight or later) and we fight to get her to sleep around 9:00 or so.  I mean, it's ridiculous.  If I drive her around midday I can get her to sleep in the car and then park in the driveway and leave the window open but not if it's warm out obviously, and this wastes gas because it takes so long to get her to crash.
Anyways, long story short: NAP!  In stroller!  Midday!  Woot!  Nice gift for momma.



Then we went home, dumped our picnic stuff on the counter, and walked to the older kids' school to pick them up.  Riley asked if he could ride his bike and I almost said no but we'd had such a lovely day that I didn't want to bum him out, so I said yes.  I was super surprised at him~he rode the entire way to school and back on a TRICYCLE!  No gears!  No brakes!  Little legs pumping away at the speed of light!  This is a THREE KILOMETER round trip.  He fell asleep at bedtime in three seconds flat.  Double woot!  Anyways, he impressed me bigtime.  And we spent every second of the day outdoors today.  Fly lady, I'm sorry, but I neglected my house today!!  In fact I neglected mySELF because I didn't even go inside long enough to take a shower until it was time to make dinner, so I didn't get my morning shower until 10 pm today.  But you know what?  I'm sure you'll forgive me my neglected chores, since I spent so many beautiful hours today blissed out on sunshine with my babies.  =)  I can't wait for my older babies to be done with school so we can all go to the water park and on bike rides together!

1 comment:

emili said...

Sweeeeeetness.