Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Day in My Life

Okay so tonight at the dinner table Ayden and Matthew were brainstorming ideas to name their invention that amalgamates a fork with a pair of chopsticks.  Matthew's final idea was, "Cockshits!"

I died.  (Matthew has no idea what cockshit means or that it could be considered a word).

 Not only did I die, but I did it silently.  Because I didn't want to tip him off that he had stumbled upon a Very Bad Word.  (He thinks the "S-h" word is "Shut up" and the "S" word is "Stupid.")  So I posted it on facebook and texted his dad, instead.

WOW is life ever fun.

Earlier today Ayden and Matthew devised a plan to ride their bikes about 1/2 kilometer to the nearest gas station to buy candy.  Being free range minded, I considered this plan for a few minutes, and then gave the okay.  I gave them lots of "guidance"~reminders to say please and thank you, and to look the cashier in the eye when paying, rather than looking at the counter and mumbling.
Also: "BE CAREFUL!  WATCH FOR CARS!  STICK TOGETHER!  LOOK BOTH WAYS!"
Cheerfully, they replied, "OKAY!" and off they went.  This is huge!  This is a major milestone; going to the corner store on your bike with your brother, ALONE!  I can't believe this day is here!  And they returned with much candy and without major incident or problems.
This was super cool.

I went for a bike ride today.  I did 6.9 Kilometers, and FOOK my ass hurts.  How do you bicycle people do it???  Mainly my tailbone but some other parts didn't fare so well either.  I will leave details to your imagination.

However, did you catch that news I tucked in there?  I went for a bike ride.  Okay, so here is my deal.  Since injuring my knee snowboarding in February, I have not been able to run.  I mean, who's kidding anyone, I wasn't running anyways because I just didn't have any oomph for exercise.  Which is weird, because I've always been active.  But the birth of baby #4 just took all my active and after a brief burst last fall (which I blogged about, of course--neglecting to mention when I fell off that wagon straightaways), I just quit.  I tried to get anxious about it, but it didn't really work.  I know myself too well.  I KNEW I would get back in shape again, and it would just be a matter of time before I worked out the logistics of how and when and where.  In the meantime, patience.  I was kind to myself.  Wasn't that nice?  Well, nobody can accuse me of trying to get back into shape too soon after having a baby, that's for sure this time.  But sixteen months old is apparently a good place to start.  After baby #4.  Can I just mention again that she's baby #4?  Yes, thank you.  That will help temper my fear of judgment for outing myself for taking so long to get back at it this time.
I actually DID want to start earlier but my knee injury got in the way.  Until very recently, I absolutely could not run on it.  It still hurts if poked, or if I lie on my right side (because my knee then rests on the mattress exactly where my injury is), but it no longer flares up all big and ugly when I exercise.

Also, Brent and I have made ourselves a competitive get-in-shape competition, and I am kicking his ass so far.  By October I want to run 10 K without stopping in the Run for the Cure, AND lose 10 lbs.  Brent wants to lose his, ahem, extra belly tire, and possibly get so someone could see muscle there.  Like, a six pack?  Or even just four.  Or two!  He informs me.  So far I'm winning simply because I went for a run on Friday and a bike ride today, so I'm two workouts ahead of him, who has not started.  (Ha, ha.  LOserrrrrr!).  Of course my run on Friday was run 5 minutes, walk 5 minutes, for a grand total of 30 minutes so I have a long way to go, but it was something!  And I'm happy about that.  I'm apprehensive about the 10 lbs weight loss goal because those of us with diabetes nipping at our heels find weight to be remarkably sticky.  But 10 lbs would put me pre pregnant weight from RILEY so I would be very happy with that, and hopefully able to get another 5-7 lbs beyond that but one thing at a time here, and lets be realistic with October looming in my mind.

I will keep you posted on my progress, because accountability helps.  So far, weight lost: 0 lbs.  Exercise: 30 minute walk/run and 35 minute bike ride.  Tomorrow I'm going to an aerobics class because I WAY prefer to have someone stand in front of me and tell me what to do than to try and motivate myself all by myself.  And I want to mix it up to keep things interesting.  AND my abs are atrocious to the point of making it painful for me to run so I need some abs work and aerobics is pretty good for that, for me.  Woot!

Today Amarys looked at our fruit bowl, said, "Nana?" and picked up a banana and handed it to me to peel it for her.  What happened to my baby?
Also, she's the church nursery terrorist now.  Today in nursery she bit another toddler.  Hello, Universe?   If you put HALF the peaceful personality mixed in with HALF the intense personality, you have a NORMAL KID.  Instead, I have 2 ridiculously peaceful laid back born knowing how to share, be generous, and have empathy, and 2 mayhems.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

Way to go with the fitness goal Melissa! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I won't lie, when you described your four kids as 2 angles and 2...um... "not so angels" I laughed out loud. If it makes you feel any better, once we got called to nursery because Silas thought it was cool to try to stick toys in the eyes of others.

Louise Chapman said...

Good job on the exercising!! I would have to say that a gel bike seat and padded bike shorts are definitely my friends on a bike ride:)

Adeline Ravenna said...

Yes! Go exercise!!!!! I'm starting to exercise again too. This is the most I've ever weighed, which isn't good for the ol' self-esteem. So I'm with you, woman. Let's do this together.

Adeline Ravenna said...

Um, Adeline Ravenna is Tamie. In case that isn't clear or something.