Monday, July 23, 2012

Fish Tacos

Okay so at a my friend's baby's first birthday party on Saturday two other friends, BF and OF (best friend and other friend, FTR) were talking about how incredibly NON DOMESTIC they are, and I thought, Hm, that used to be me.  And now it's not.  I'm somewhat generally okay with that, although I may have felt somewhat defensive  =)  Ergo, a new recipe!

I'd heard of fish tacos as SO GOOD for years and I was like, are you bloody well kidding me, FISH IN A TACO?  NO THANKS.  
But the praise for fish tacos both from a delicious standpoint and an easy to make standpoint was just so persistent, that last summer on our Portland anniversary trip I tried them in a restaurant.  They were AMAZING!  I was so wrong about the fish in a taco thing.  Though you couldn't do it with just any fish (say, for example, trout, or something).  White fish is where it's at.

So, I buy my fish at Costco--you can get Cod for fairly affordable, $15 to $20 per package and enough in there for a few meals, and it is WILD which is apparently so much healthier and more eco friendly.  BF is a marine biologist and this is what she says.  I asked her recently, what are the top priorities when it comes to marine ecological issues?  Because I do lots to protect the air and land but not much for the ocean.  If I had to pick one thing to do to protect the ocean what would it be?  And she said to avoid farmed fish.  So now we only eat wild fish, as of two weeks ago.  =)  SO.  Cod, Costco, Wild, Cheap.

I melded together two allrecipes(dot)com fish taco recipes because one had better sounding fish and the other had better sounding dressing, and voila!  Melissa Vose's Fish Tacos Extraordinaire.  They were a big hit, and Ayden ate five of them.  With cabbage (which he has always shunned before) AND tomato pico de gallo (ditto) AND the dressing which was spicy and amaaaaaaZING and which I figured he wouldn't touch with a fifty foot pole.

Fish:
set oven to 450, put cod filets in dish with butter on top and chicken bullion sprinkled over it, and bake until fish is flakey (recipe said 4-6 minutes, but mine took 15 minutes.  I think the recipe was for sole).

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used sour cream, works just as well)
lime juice, enough to make slightly runny
minced jalepeno (I did two chunks just big enough to fit in a hand mincer and it was perfect)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dill weed

Other toppings:
shredded cabbage
Pico de Gallo~diced tomatoes, diced red onion, cilantro, lime juice (optional: also jalepeno, but doesn't need it b/c it's in the dressing)

Hard and soft tacos, fill with some flaked fish, dressing, cabbage, and pico de gallo, and even your pickiest kids will devour them (so long as they like fish).  YUMMY!

1 comment:

Louise Chapman said...

Sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try it!