Friday, March 1, 2013

2 Years Old


Today our sweetheart is two years old.  Wow, what a whirlwind couple of years it has been!  Amarys lights up our lives and fills our days with exuberance and fire.  Her personality is a force to be reckoned with, and we wouldn't change a single part of it.

Amarys is active, vibrant, opinionated, loud, expressive, and stubborn.  She's sweet, nurturing, funny, wildly independent, and full of love.  She climbs, jumps, sings at the top of her lungs, dances, kicks, flails, and yells all day long.  Her favourite song is "EE-I-EE-I-OOOOOOO" and she has a habit of plugging her ears in order to sing even louder, especially when we're all trapped together in the car, but she will also make up her own songs in nonsensical jibberish. Her speech is astounding (especially in a family of late talkers): she's clear, articulate, has a massive vocabulary, and if we don't understand her the first time she says a word, she will use different words to explain what she means.  She counts "one, doo, twee!" gives high fives, kisses, hugs, and tickles, and loves her babies.

She also loves Toopy and Binu, The Wiggles, animals, cats, rabbits, duplo lego, her doll house, any and all food, her bike, her helmet, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, her tutu, shoes, all of her family (keeping tabs on where we are all day: "Were's daddy?  Where's Riley?  Where's Matthew? Etc."  Storytime, "helping" in the kitchen, bubble baths, stuffies, tea parties, eating with tiny spoons and forks, using tiny plates from play kitchen, getting in on whatever her brothers are up to, wearing the hood on her sweater, talking about the rain, and breastfeeding.

She hates being left out, being separated from family, bedtime without "bedmilk," sitting still, being restrained, and (often) being photographed.

Amarys is magic.  She's sparkle and frustration and intensity and colour and love.  She's the strongest incense you've ever encountered, carried by the wildest wind through the largest temple on a mountainside in rural Thailand.  She's one of the most difficult challenges and the greatest joys in our life.  Teaching her kindness, sharing, compassion, and self control is hard work, but teaching her autonomy and self assurance and any gross motor skill is easy as pie.  Nobody, ever, will take advantage of this girl.

Her hugs are fierce, her love is all consuming, and her skin smells delicious.  She's amazing.

Thanks for all your sparkle, you yummy girl.
Stay fierce.

6 comments:

Louise Chapman said...

Love this. I wish I had something like this written about me by my mom, you know? Like, her thoughts on my at the age of two....

melissa said...

So much birthday love to your fierce and vibrant girl. She is awesome, and this I can say with confidence, even though I only admire her from afar. Also, I guess this means I've been stalking you, we, reading your blog for almost two years now!

melissa said...

So much birthday love to your fierce and vibrant girl. She is awesome, and this I can say with confidence, even though I only admire her from afar. Also, I guess this means I've been stalking you, we, reading your blog for almost two years now!

melissa said...

So much birthday love to your fierce and vibrant girl. She is awesome, and this I can say with confidence, even though I only admire her from afar. Also, I guess this means I've been stalking you, we, reading your blog for almost two years now!

Tamie said...

Happy birthday, precious girl. You are my kindred spirit and I think you're tops! Hugs & Kisses.

nancy Smith said...

She looks SO much like you did at this age...gorgeous! Of course you both take after nana!